These easy homemade Chocolate Chip Muffins have a light and tender crumb thanks to Greek yogurt and are loaded with mini chocolate chips. Top with coarse sugar for a lightly sweet breakfast or snack! Love all things chocolate chip? Try my Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies and Chocolate Chip No Bake Cheesecake!
These delicious homemade Chocolate Chip Muffins are quick and easy to make so they’re perfect to whip up anytime. Soft and moist on the inside and bursting with flavor, these muffins are sure to become a new favorite!
There’s just something about eating a really good muffin that makes everything ok. Biting into that crispy muffin top takes me back to when I was a kid. Now I love making muffins for my kids and watching them savor every bite.
I am so excited to share this delicious chocolate chip muffin recipe with you today because if there’s one thing that kids of all ages love, it’s chocolate chips!
Easy Chocolate Chip Muffins
These easy chocolate chip muffins are SO good and SO easy to make that you won’t ever feel the need to go to your local bakery again when you can whip up something comparable yourself. And that sweet sparkly sugar crunch topping? Yum.
They’re pretty much the perfect comfort food for kids and adults, alike.
Throw them together whenever you need a pick me up – you can have them mixed and out of the oven in under 30 minutes to feel better (almost) instantly.
Chocolate Chip Muffin Ingredients
These muffins don’t just have flavor and texture going for them. You’ll appreciate the list of ingredients since they’re made from simple ingredients that you already have. It always amazes me how the combination of basic ingredients can yield something so extraordinary!
- Flour: All-purpose flour is the foundation of these chocolate chip muffins.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda: The leaveners needed to create rise.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is almost a surprise flavor, but it really makes the recipe.
- Vanilla Extract & Salt: Flavor enhancers.
- Eggs: Eggs are used for moisture and bind all the ingredients together. Room temperature eggs yield the best results.
- Greek Yogurt: Keeps the muffins nice and moist and adds a bit of guilt-free protein!
- Sugar: The sweetener for this recipe.
- Butter: Adds moisture and rich, delicious flavor.
- Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips: Chocolate chip muffins just aren’t…without chocolate chips!
- Coarse Sprinkling Sugar: Adds that special sparkle and crunch on top.
How to Make This Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe
This muffin recipe really couldn’t be easier. The batter comes together quickly, so you can throw it together anytime you want.
Follow these steps and you’ll have delicious muffins ready to devour almost as fast as you can say “Chocolate Chip Muffins!”
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and line a muffin pan with liners or grease each well with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream together the butter and sugar, then add in eggs, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients being careful to not over mix.
- Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly among each muffin liner. Top with additional mini chocolate chips and coarse sugar, if desired.
- REDUCE the oven temperature to 375F degrees and bake muffins for 12 to 16 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes clean from the center of the muffins.
- Allow muffins to cool for several minutes before serving.
- If you don’t want to have to reduce the temperature just prior to baking, these muffins were also tested at 375F for 20 to 22 minutes and turned out delicious. The difference is that they domed a little more with the high temp start, so pick the method you prefer.
- If you prefer allspice, it can be used in place of the cinnamon.
- These chocolate chip muffins are lower in fat than traditional chocolate chip muffins since Greek yogurt is used instead of traditional vegetable oil.
- Use room temperature eggs for the best results! You’ll notice a finer crumb in these chocolate chip muffins. If you are pressed for time, use the cold eggs, the muffins will still be delicious.
- I prefer mini chocolate chips in this muffin recipe. You can of course use regular size chips if that’s what you have on hand. Dark chocolate chips, peanut butter chips and white chocolate chips would also be delicious.
- This recipe calls for ⅔ cup of Greek yogurt which is approximately 5.7 ounces. If you don’t keep those big containers of Greek yogurt on hand, fee free to use an individual 5.5 ounce container of yogurt instead.
Homemade Chocolate Chip Muffin FAQs
Muffins are good for 1 to 2 days at room temperature in an airtight container. Refrigerating muffins isn’t necessary and usually dries them out faster.
To freeze: Let the muffins cool completely then place them in a large ziploc freezer bag in a single layer and squeeze out excess air. You can keep them frozen for up to 3 months. (You can also wrap the muffins individually in plastic wrap before placing in the freezer bag.)
To thaw: leave them on the countertop for 3 to 4 hours before serving. You can reheat them by wrapping them individually in aluminum foil and baking at 350 degrees until warm.
Muffins usually bake at one temperature for the entire time. For this recipe, I recommend initially baking at a higher temperature to create extra lift so that you get that tall crackly top you crave.
Yes! If you would like to add nuts, simply add ½ cup of finely chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, or almonds) at the same time you add the chocolate chips.
Enjoy these chocolate chip muffins as a snack, for dessert, or anytime you want! They’re so good!
Enjoy These Other Delicious Muffin Recipes
- Strawberry and Cream Muffins
- Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Muffins
- Cheesecake Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Apple Muffins with Crumb Topping
- Blueberry Corn Muffins
- Orange Muffins
- Lemon Muffins
- Chocolate Banana Applesauce Muffins
- Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins
Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ⅔ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips plus more for topping if desired
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar optional topping
- Preheat the oven to 450F and line a muffin pan with parchment liners or grease each well with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together 1½ cups of the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar, then mix in the eggs, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, the batter will be lumpy, do not over mix. Fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Divide batter evenly between each muffin liner and top with additional mini chocolate chips and coarse sugar, if desired.
- REDUCE HEAT TO 375F DEGREES and bake for 12 to 16 minutes or until the muffin tops are golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean from the center of the muffins. You can alternatively preheat the oven to 375F and bake for 20 to 22 minutes.
- Allow muffins to cool in the pan for several minutes before removing and enjoying.