This amazing Crockpot Chili recipe is delicious, hearty, and perfect for chilly weather! Super easy to make and perfect for loading up with all your favorite toppings!
Crockpot Chili Recipe
Without a doubt, chili is my husband’s favorite food. He asks for it every chance he gets and I’m only too happy to oblige. We are all big time chili lovers.
We make lots of variations of this classic chili recipe, mainly because we’re always trying to see if we can top this. I’ve come to the conclusion based on lots of feedback from friends and family over the years, that this truly is the best chili recipe on the planet.
The Best Ways to Eat Chili
Here’s what I love about chili y’all. It’s easily the most versatile main dish EVER. Think about this for a second:
- Chili is great on it’s own, served in a bowl or bread bowl.
- It can top hot dogs and burgers and take them to new delicious heights.
- It’s great in a nacho bar or served atop baked potatoes.
I mean, for reals people, the options are endless. This is why I’m always secretly hoping for leftovers so I don’t have to be too creative the following day 🙂
This weekend, I will be making this beef chili, yet again. It’s a staple for our Super Bowl party each year and it’s something my family looks forward to.
I look forward to making this chili recipe because it’s incredibly easy to make.
How To Make Homemade Crockpot Chili
- Brown the beef (and sausage if you want to use that as well) in a skillet.
- The onion, bell pepper, and garlic get added to the skillet and are cooked until soft and fragrant.
- Add the meat mixture to your favorite 6 quart crockpot or slow cooker.
- Top with the tomato trio: diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste.
- Add the spices and seasonings to really bring complexity and depth of flavor to the chili.
- Give it a good stir and place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Cook for at least a few hours (on low or high). It only gets better the more time it has.
- Serve with your favorite toppings! See my suggestions below.
The Best Chili Toppings
As a general guideline, if you put in on your tacos or in your burritos, it can go on chili. Now, I’m not a rule follower so I certainly don’t expect you to be. Do not in anyway limit your chili toppings to these suggestions. Do what feels right 🙂
- Cheese – sharp cheddar is my favorite
- Corn Chips or Tortilla Chips – this extra bit of saltiness is sublime
- Avocados – you can go sliced, diced, or guacamole
- Jalapeños – pickled or fresh
- Green Onions – adds a bright, fresh flavor
- Cilantro – the same as green onions, and my personal favorite
- Bacon – we love to add bacon to this recipe on occasion. It adds a lovely smokiness to the chili. If you don’t want to do that, maybe as a topping? Make it nice and crispy!
What To Serve With Chili
Okay, here’s where I blow your mind. Chris’s mom is Peruvian so he grew up on chili con carne. His mom always served the chili with warmed tortillas that had been slathered with butter. I mean, yes, uber decadent. And I was super skeptical, that is, until I tasted it.
You guys! This is LEGIT the best way to eat chili. Heat the tortillas up, we do it on a griddle, and then immediately spread with softened butter and roll up super tight, like a flauta or taquito. We slice them in half and then just stack them high and serve alongside the chili. Thank me later.
We also like to serve chili with:
- Homemade Biscuits
- The Best Cheesy Mexican Cornbread
- Garlic Parmesan Breadsticks
- Easy Homemade Flour Tortillas
How To Make The Ultimate Crockpot Chili Recipe
Crockpot Chili Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage or spicy Italian sausage or ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves minced
- 30 ounces kidney beans rinsed well and drained (2 15 oz cans)
- 15 ounces pinto beans rinsed well and drained (1 can)
- 29 ounces diced tomatoes use the entire can, juice and all
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or granulated sugar
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- Brown the ground beef and sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until mostly cooked through. A little pink is fine.
- Add the diced onion, bell pepper, and garlic and stir to combine. Cooking cooking over medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Transfer the beef mixture to a 6 quart crockpot or slow cooker.
- Add the kidney and pinto beans.
- Top with diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth and hot sauce.
- Next add the seasonings (chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt, pepper and sugar).
- Pour tomato sauce over the top and stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with desired toppings such as shredded cheese, sour cream, corn chips, tortilla chips, etc.
For all dinner recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.