These Double Chocolate Banana Applesauce Muffins are perfect for those days when you wake up craving chocolate.
Easy, delicious and made without oil, butter, or eggs.
Raise your hand if you agree that chocolate is totally okay for breakfast? Good! We can be friends then. Today I’m sharing chocolate…for breakfast. And you’re totally going to love me for this.
I’m not going wild with the chocolate, well maybe a little…BUT, these double chocolate muffins are made with bananas and applesauce. No butter, no oil, not even an egg. I kind of love them.
You’ll notice that only eleven of the dozen muffin made it to the cooling rack. My taste buds could not resist the allure of those chocolate chips tucked into the top, all melty and perfect. I have to say, that little muffin went down way too easy.
After having so many readers write in wondering if the Chocolate Banana Applesauce Cake could be made as muffins I knew that I needed to give it a try myself. Good call you guys! These muffins are just PERFECT for a sweet breakfast treat and lovely for brunch.
Not overly sweet but totally packed with rich chocolate flavor, these muffins beg to be devoured with a cold glass of milk on standby.
Light and airy and yet somehow totally decadent. I guess chocolate for breakfast can be nothing if not decadent.
I vow to treat myself to this kind of breakfast more often. Chocolates makes me happy and the earlier in the day I can have it, the better.
This recipe makes twelve muffins and they keep amazingly well. I had a few tucked away for a treat and three days later they were still perfectly moist (thanks to those bananas and applesauce) and utterly delicious!
Double Chocolate Banana Applesauce Muffins
- 2 ripe bananas
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup applesauce no sugar added
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips divided
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Line a muffin tin or spray lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mash bananas in a medium size bowl.
- Stir in the sugars, applesauce, water, and vinegar until thoroughly combined.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring just until combined.
- Fold in half of the chocolate chips.
- Divide batter between the 12 cups evenly. They will be pretty full but don't worry about that.
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top of the muffins.
- Bake for 22-27 minutes or until toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool in tin slightly before removing.
More ways to enjoy breakfast or brunch:
For all breakfast recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.