This Strawberry Shortcake Roulade is the quintessential summer dessert. Cake rolls are always stunning but this one is particularly so. Light and airy cake wrapped around a sweet whipped cream and fresh strawberry filling. Irresistible!
If I could pick one fruit that epitomizes summer for me, it would have to be the strawberries. Sweet, juicy, and that bright red color make it the perfect addition to any recipe. I’m just thankful that my strawberry plants produce an insane amount of strawberries each year 🙂
One of our favorite summer treats in strawberry shortcake. We don’t usually make it with actual shortcake though. Angel food cake is our preference. So light and airy, it’s absolutely divine.
Today I’ve got this Strawberry Shortcake Roulade (or cake roll) for you that has all the flavors or a strawberry shortcake rolled up into a light and airy cake. Amazing.
Reece was eyeing the cake the entire time I was making it and was literally begging for a piece near the end. At first bite, he quickly designated this Strawberry Shortcake Roulade as his new birthday cake. Three slices later, he was happily curled up on the couch daydreaming about the next time I would make this cake…
Bryce loved it just as much and was thankful it wasn’t chocolate. He’s on a I don’t like chocolate kick right now which has me seriously questioning his parentage.
The cake is stunning. I hesitated a few moments before actually slicing into it. With a light (or heavy) dusting of powdered sugar, it looks magnificent. No heavy frosting to weigh it down. Just a delicious whipped cream and fresh strawberry filling to set it off perfectly.
After slicing into the cake, I think it may even look prettier 🙂 This recipe would be great for a celebration or BBQ. Trust me, there won’t be any left.
More strawberry recipes to try!
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake
- Easy Strawberry Pineapple Cake
- Lemon Strawberry Trifle
- Overnight Strawberry Cheesecake French Toast Casserole
- Strawberry Yogurt Cake
- 5 egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup powdered sugar (plus more for dusting)
- 1 pound strawberries, washed, hulled, sliced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray a 12X17 rimmed baking sheet and line with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper with butter. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, oil, milk, vanilla extract, two-thirds cup of sugar, and lemon zest.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt.
- Stir dry ingredients into the wet just until combined.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites on med-high until soft peaks form (1 to 2 minutes). Add the remaining one-third cup of sugar and continue beating on med-high speed until stiff peaks form (another 1 to 2 minutes).
- Fold egg whites into the batter until fully incorporated.
- Pour batter onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until the top of the cake is light brown. Let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add the sour cream, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread onto the cooled cake leaving a one inch border around the edges.
- In a small bowl combine the strawberries, one tablespoon of sugar and lemon zest.
- Scatter strawberries over the top of the whipped cream.
- Starting at the short end, roll up the cake, letting the parchment fall away as you roll.
- Place the cake seam side down.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired.
For all cookie recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.