Twice Baked Potatoes are the ultimate side dish and the perfect addition to any meal! You’re going to love the creamy filling that is loaded with bacon, sour cream and two types of cheese! And don’t forget about that crispy potato skin – so good! Are you all about the sides? Me too! Make sure to try these favorites: spinach artichoke dip, strawberry spinach salad, and ambrosia salad!
Twice Baked Potatoes
If you love potatoes, chances are you’ve had your fair share of Twice Baked Potatoes. There’s a lot to love about this decadent side dish. Creamy, cheesy, fluffy goodness that just melts in your mouth. The good news is they are super easy to make at home!
I’m obsessed with potatoes and will take them any way I can get ’em. Quite possibly our favorite side dish ingredient, we love these Garlic Roasted Potatoes, Oven Roasted Herb and Garlic Parmesan Potatoes, Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed Potatoes, and our all time favorite Twice Baked Potato Casserole.
I have found the best Twice Baked Potatoes recipe starts with the BEST baked potatoes. So let’s start there.
What Kind Of Potatoes Should I Use?
Good old russet potatoes are the way to go here. A drizzle of olive oil and a generous amount of kosher salt sprinkled over the top of each potato ensures the skins get nice and crisp and extra flavorful.
Easy Twice Baked Potatoes
This Twice Baked Potatoes recipe is so easy to make and if you don’t want the hassle of stuffing individual potatoes, you should try my Twice Baked Potatoes Casserole – it’s AMAZING.
If you want to make “quick twice baked potatoes”, you can microwave the potatoes instead of baking – this will cut about 45 minutes off of the cook time.
I definitely recommend you do the final baking in the actual oven though. That will get the skins crisp and melt the cheese nicely.
Let’s Make Twice Baked Potatoes!
- Start with russet potatoes. Rub with olive oil and salt and bake until tender.
- Let potatoes cool until you can handle them with ease. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh leaving a 1/4 inch shell.
- Combine potato flesh with cream cheese, sour cream, butter and cheese.
- Fold in bacon and green onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Scoop the filling into the potato shells.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake and serve!
What Ingredients Are Needed?
- russet potatoes
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- cream cheese – twice baked potatoes with cream cheese results in an ultra creamy filling
- sour cream – if you want to make the twice baked potatoes without sour cream, just add in an extra 4 oz of cream cheese)
- shredded cheddar cheese (or any other cheese you prefer)
- green onions (can also use chives)
- salt and pepper to taste
Make Ahead Twice Baked Potatoes
A common question especially during the holidays and thankfully, the answer is YES. This side dish is a must make for Thanksgiving and Christmas and I love that I can get most of the work done ahead of time.
- Bake the potatoes and mix up the filling. Fill the potato shells with the filling and wrap tightly and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Sprinkle on cheese and bake on serving day.
Can You Freeze Twice Baked Potatoes?
- Follow the instructions in the recipe card below but stop before sprinkling cheese on top and final baking. Let the potatoes and filling cool completely.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and flash freeze (uncovered) for one hour.
- Place frozen potatoes in a freezer bag and place bag in the freezer.
- To cook, let potatoes thaw in fridge for 24 hours, top with cheese, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 35o°F.
- Potatoes can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Extra Delicious Sides To Try
- Broccoli Salad – my mom’s recipe and anyone who tries it asks for the recipe
- Dinner Rolls – soft little pillows of awesome
- Turkey Gravy – hands down, the best turkey gravy I’ve ever had
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole – in casserole form, ie. potato perfection
- Stuffing Recipe – made with sausage, cranberries and apples – super festive
- Cranberry Sauce – easier than you think and WAY better than store bought
How To Make Twice Baked Potatoes
Twice Baked Potatoes
- 8 medium russet potatoes scrubbed clean and dried
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 8 oz sour cream
- 4 tbsp butter
- 12 oz shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 8 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- chives or green onions
- bacon crumbles
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rub potatoes with olive oil and salt and place on a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork, flipping halfway through.
- Let cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides leaving a 1/4-inch shell.
- Combine potato flesh with cream cheese, sour cream, butter and 8 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese in a large bowl.
- Use a potato masher to mash together until desired consistency is reached.
- Fold in crumbled bacon and green onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Scoop the filling into the potato shells. You want the filling to be pretty generous.
- Top each potato half with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and potatoes are heated through.
- Serve immediately.
- If you want to make "quick twice baked potatoes", you can microwave the potatoes instead of baking - this will cut about 45 minutes off of the cook time.
Yummy appetizer recipes!
Tasty dinner recipes!
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.
Leave a Reply