Slow Cooker Garlic Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes for nights when dinner needs to be fast, easy and delicious!
Today I’m taking a break from my inner dessert blogger (down girl!) and sharing a recipe that everyone needs to have in their slow cooker arsenal: Mashed Potatoes.
Mashed Potatoes have got me through many tough times in my life. They are true comfort food and are amazing no matter what ingredients get thrown in. Great for potlucks, Thanksgiving, Christmas, parties, nights where you didn’t realize you were running behind and soccer practice is in 15 minutes and no one has had dinner yet but that’s okay because dinner will stay nice and warm in the slow cooker.
Hey! It happens even to the best of us 🙂 I’m just thankful it was a slow cooker night and there’s that nice little “warm” setting. Here’s three reasons why you should give this recipe a try:
One. Making mashed potatoes in the slow cooker allows the potatoes to cook evenly. Every. Time. No more chunks of under-cooked potatoes for you!
Two. Garlic mashed potatoes have never tasted better than they do when cooked in a slow cooker. The garlic flavor infuses into the potatoes as they slowly cook and the result – absolutely divine!
Three. Once the potatoes are done, drain, mash, add yumminess and return to the slow cooker where those potatoes will stay beautifully warm and creamy until YOU’RE ready for them.
These potatoes go great with pretty much anything and are particularly delicious with fried chicken or meatloaf. Bryce (a.k.a. Bryce Knight) was totally helping me out with these potatoes. He likes to scrub the potatoes and pick out the small ones that can go straight into the slow cooker. These potatoes are so easy a kid could make them 😉
Slow Cooker Garlic Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2-3 cups water
- 5 garlic cloves peeled and smashed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2-3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2-3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 green onions sliced (optional)
- Scrub potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces. The smaller potatoes I just throw straight in.
- Combine potatoes, garlic, and salt in slow cooker. Add water just until covered.
- Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours until potatoes are nice and tender.
- Drain potatoes and return to slow cooker.
- Mash potatoes and add butter, buttermilk, and sour cream. Continue mashing adding buttermilk or sour cream as necessary to achieve desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with green onions if desired.
More slow cooker recipes that I heavily rely upon: