There’s nothing more comforting than twice baked potatoes – unless you turn them into a casserole!
This Twice Baked Potato Casserole has all your favorite flavors from a twice baked potato but in a delicious casserole form!
Pure comfort food. That’s what this Twice Baked Potato Casserole is all about. Last week my husband had a potluck at work. He texted me saying that he needed me to make potato salad. Potato salad?? It just sounded so boring. I had made a baked potato salad for his coworkers before and it had gone over quite well and so I thought I’d make that again.
But then I was feeling guilty about sending the same dish twice, even though it’s been over a year, and I started thinking about twice baked potatoes, and how I could turn that into a salad and this casserole was born.
Now, you can forgo the second round of baking and serve this potato salad cold or warm instead of hot. Totally up to you. I think the melty cheese is what pushes me over the edge when I’m craving twice baked potatoes so I opted for that.
I started by baking up some russet potatoes. You can use whatever variety you like best. After a quick rub down of olive oil and kosher salt, they get baked up nice and crisp in the oven. I bake my potatoes on a sheet pan to keep my oven from getting all messy. You can wrap them in foil but then you won’t get the super crispy skins which is what I was going for.
After the potatoes are baked up nice and tender, let them cool until you can handle them with ease. I left my skins on because the crispy potato skins are part of the twice baked potato experience. If that freaks you out, just peel the skin off. It comes off super easily after the potatoes are baked.
Now it’s time to mix them with all of you favorite twice baked potato fixins. I used sour cream, sharp cheddar cheese, bacon, and green onions as well as a bit of mayo to help this casserole hold together and to make it extra creamy. It’s a must.
I topped it with some extra cheese and bacon and stuck it back in the oven to get “twice baked”. A final sprinkle of green onions to complete the twice baked look and this casserole is ready to go. The best part of this casserole is the crispy potato skin – sooo good!
How to make this TWICE BAKED POTATO CASSEROLE:
Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- 8 medium potatoes, scrubbed and dried
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 5-6 green onions, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rub potatoes with olive oil and salt and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork, flipping halfway through.
- Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut potatoes into bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl. Its perfectly acceptable for the potato pieces to slightly fall apart.
- Stir in mayonnaise and sour cream.
- Set aside 1/3 cup cheese, 3 tbsp bacon, 2 tbsp sliced green onions for the top of the casserole. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Spoon into a greased deep dish 9x9 baking dish or a 9x13 baking dish. Top with reserved shredded cheese and bacon.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes, removing foil for the last 10 minutes.
- Top with remaining sliced green onions and serve.
More comfort food!
For all dinner recipes, go HERE.
For all sides and salad recipes, go HERE.