This easy homemade Taco Seasoning recipe adds amazing flavor to beef, chicken, veggies and more! We love using it with enchiladas, tacos, burritos, and so much more! A simple blend of spices that you already have on hand makes this DIY taco seasoning a yummy alternative to store bought mixes. Make tonight fiesta night with these great recipes: Beef Flautas, Shrimp Taco Salad, and Homemade Flour Tortillas!
Taco Tuesday is a day our entire family looks forward to! My family simply can’t get enough Mexican food in our lives. We love it! Whether it’s tacos, burritos, nachos, or enchiladas, I’m always in need of some taco seasoning and over the years I have found that homemade is best.
Better Than Store Bought
I love making homemade spice mixes and seasonings because not only are they less expensive, the flavor is better as well. Not adding fillers to the mix really lets the flavors of the individual spices shine through.
Taco Seasoning Packet Equivalent
A taco seasoning mix packet contains about two tablespoons. Homemade taco seasoning is a little bit stronger than store bought so you might want to use just a little less to start. Use about half of what you would use of store-bought taco seasoning. Adjust amounts to your preference!
Great Gift Idea
Just like with my Cajun Spice Mix and Fajita Seasoning, I like to make this taco seasoning recipe for holiday gifts or housewarming gifts too. Just print off a tag or buy some chalkboard tags and some cute spice bottles and you’re set. (This set here has EVERYTHING you need: bottles, tags, funnel, etc.)
It would be a great idea to make a seasoning mix trio too! Just pick one of my homemade spice mixes or seasoning mixes below (right above the recipe).
Why Make Your Own?
- Because you want to save money! Those tiny little packets of taco seasoning add up! You can make your own for a fraction of the cost and it couldn’t be easier.
- Adjusting the flavor is simple. If you’re not a fan of any of the spices, you can reduce or eliminate.
- Whenever you run out, you don’t have to make a trip to the store. Just make another batch!
- It’s a great way to use up those big bottles of spices in your pantry. While I may not use every one of these ingredients a lot, they are exceptional in a spice blend like this one. It’s the perfect use for spices you don’t find yourself using on their own that often.
- I love including a bottle with holiday gifts for neighbors. It’s always appreciated and I know they’ll use it.
Taco Seasoning Ingredients
This simple blend of pantry spices makes for the perfect taco meat seasoning. Making your own seasoning mix from scratch really allows you to customize it per your preferences. I suggest making it once with my exact measurements and then making adjustments the second time if you want.
- chili powder (we also like to ancho chili powder for a more smoky flavor)
- paprika (can use smoked paprika)
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- cayenne pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional if you like things spicy)
What To Serve With It
Whether you’re using this as beef or chicken taco seasoning or just adding it to your veggies for burritos or tacos, you really can’t go wrong with this mix. Don’t forget the sides!
- We love making our own homemade flour tortillas
- This slow cooker refried beans recipe (which isn’t actually refried) is amazing!
- My son Reece could eat the entire pot of this homemade Mexican rice – so good!
More Seasoning and Spice Mixes
How To Make Taco Seasoning
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 5 tsp paprika
- 4 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper optional
- Combine all the ingredients together in a small mixing bowl.
- Use a funnel or small spoon to carefully transfer to a small spice jar or other airtight container.
- Good for up to 6 months.
- This recipe can be doubled or halved easily.
- Feel free to swap in "specialty" versions of the ingredients. I.e. ancho chili powder for the chili powder.
- First time making your own spice mix? You might want to check out this spice bottle set from Amazon (aff link). It has EVERYTHING you need to get started!