If you don’t cook a lot of seafood, you may not have Old Bay seasoning on hand. It’s a common ingredient called for in Southern dishes and particularly in shrimp boils or with steamed crab. It’s also delicious on various vegetables and fresh fish.
It’s incredibly easy to make your own homemade Old Bay seasoning though with ingredients that you probably do have on hand. Makes a great gift as well!
Homemade Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 tbsp celery salt
- 1 tsp ground bay leaf or bay leaf powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper more or less depending on how much heat you like
- 1 pinch pinch ground dry mustard
- 1 pinch ground mace or nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 months.