Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts with butternut squash and apples are liberally spiced with ground cinnamon and chili powder for a fantastic explosion of flavor. Perfect for the holidays! This dish is a celebration of those amazing flavors that can only be found in the fall. An easy side dish that is perfect for any night of the week. Looking for more great side dishes? Make sure to try my easy 15 minute cranberry sauce, my soft and fluffy dinner rolls, and my Nana’s famous green bean recipe!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Fall is my favorite season for so many reasons: the fantastically cooler weather after a hot Sacramento summer, the gorgeous foliage, the upcoming holidays, extra snuggle time with my boys… and the list goes on. But at the top of that list, or pretty darn close, is all the amazing produce that is in season.
Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts are the BEST Way to Eat ‘Em
I love roasted vegetables. I think it’s the most flavorful and delicious way to enjoy vegetables and honestly, one of the few ways my kids will eat them.
Roasted Brussels sprouts are delicious with just a little olive oil and salt but when you add cinnamon and chili powder, it takes them over the top!
The addition of butternut squash and apples adds color and sweetness to this tasty side dish.
Easy To Make Side Dish
I love how easy this roasted Brussels sprouts recipe is to pull together. Fancy enough for the holidays and yet simple and quick enough for a weeknight dinner.
How To Roast Brussel Sprouts
- Toss everything together, including the oil and spices.
- Make sure the Brussels sprouts, squash and apples are all evenly coated.
- The apples cook the fastest so I cut them slightly larger and make sure they are extra cold going into the oven. (I store my apples in the fridge so they are always nice and cold.) This keeps them from getting mushy while the veggies are roasting away. Aim for room temperature for the Brussels sprouts and squash.
Can I Make This With Only Brussels Sprouts
Absolutely! Just replace equal amounts of the squash and apples with Brussels sprouts and cook as directed.
They are so pretty coming out of the oven! Gorgeous color – just look at that caramelization! – and the aroma, oh my! Perfectly spiced and ready to eat!
Get ready to delight your family with this easy side dish that everyone will enjoy.
Complete Your Holiday Feast with These Favorites
- The Best Turkey Gravy
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Broccoli Salad (a must make for the holidays)
- Crockpot Turkey Breast (the BEST turkey I’ve ever had)
- Roast Turkey Breast – same flavor profile as the crockpot version but quicker
- Creamed Corn (two ways!)
- The BEST Cranberry Sauce – just 15 minutes to make!
- Baked Sweet Potato (How To Bake Sweet Potatoes)
- The BEST Dinner Rolls
- Nana’s Famous Green Bean recipe
How To Make Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Butternut Squash and Apples
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts ends trimmed, outer, loose leaves removed
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 Granny Smith apples very cold and cut into cubes
- 2 to 2 tbsp extra light olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place the Brussels sprouts, squash, and apples on a large baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle chili powder and cinnamon over the top.
- Use your hands to toss everything together making sure to evenly coat the fruit and veggies.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, turning once half way through.
- Serve immediately.
Originally published November 13, 2017