This Chocolate Zucchini Cake is bound to be a new favorite for chocolate lovers! Fabulously moist, decadently rich, and impossible to resist! The perfect way to enjoy the summer bounty!
Looking for more zucchini recipes? Make sure to try my Zucchini Quiche and Zucchini Fries!
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
If you love chocolate cake, this Chocolate Zucchini Cake is most definitely for you. It’s rich, decadent, moist and surprise, there’s zucchini inside!
Three different chocolate elements assure a deep chocolate flavor in this amazing chocolate zucchini bundt cake.
We’ve been enjoying baking up all kinds of zucchini recipes but, if you’re a chocolate lover like me though, this Chocolate Zucchini Cake is the recipe for you.
There is nothing I look forward to more in the summer than making up all kinds of amazing zucchini recipes with zucchinis from our garden. Here are some of our favorites:
- Zucchini Spice Cake
- Amazing Zucchini Brownies
- Zucchini Carrot Oatmeal Cookies
- Lemon Zucchini Cake
- Zucchini Quiche with Bacon and Hash Brown Crust
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
Rich Chocolate Flavor
The rich, chocolate flavor comes from the cocoa powder and mini chocolate chips inside the cake and an incredibly delicious chocolate glaze that is drizzled on top.
To really enhance the chocolate flavor, I’ve added a bunch of mini chocolate chips to the mix which creates little pockets of rich chocolate flavor that just melt in your mouth with each bite. Delicious!
The glaze is super simple and while not entirely necessary on this cake, looks gorgeous and adds a bit of sweetness.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe
There is just something wonderful about a homemade chocolate cake with hidden veggies. I have served this recipe to so many people who have doubted that there was even zucchini in the cake – it’s just that good!
Chocolate Zucchini Cake Ingredients
Let’s take a quick look at what you’ll need and, as always, you can find the full, printable recipe at the end of this post:
For the cake:
- zucchinis – it’s not a zucchini cake without the zucchini! This ingredient adds so much moisture to this chocolate cake.
- unsweetened cocoa powder – gives the cake rich chocolate flavor.
- butter – for flavor
- eggs – room temperature eggs work best.
- granulated sugar – this recipe calls for 2 cups but you can reduce to 1 1/2 cups without any issues.
- unsweetened applesauce – I use this in place of vegetable oil just like I do in my carrot cake recipe.
- vanilla extract – a must for flavor! I use a good amount in this recipe.
- all purpose flour – the structure and base of this cake recipe.
- baking soda – our leavener.
- salt – to enhance the flavor of the other ingredients.
- ground cinnamon – this is completely optional but I do love it in this recipe.
- semi-sweet mini chocolate chips – use mini chocolate chips for the best results. They melt into the cake better.
For the chocolate glaze:
- semi sweet chocolate chips – you can use bar chocolate instead if you prefer. Just chop finely before melting.
- butter – gives the glaze richness and a lovely texture.
- light corn syrup – makes the glaze so shiny.
- vanilla extract – for flavor and depth.
How To Make Chocolate Zucchini Cake
I just love how simple this cake is – super easy to prepare when you don’t have a lot of time. Here is a quick overview of how to make this easy cake:
- Preheat oven and prepare bundt pan.
- Prep zucchini. Grate zucchinis and let sit on paper towels to absorb excess moisture. Blot dry with a towel.
- Combine wet ingredients.
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Stir dry into wet just until combined.
- Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Bake. Takes about 60 to 70 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Prepare chocolate glaze. Prepare the glaze when the cake has cooled.
- Glaze cake and serve.
I’m a sucker for a good bundt pan and I really love how this glaze looks on a bundt cake.
Variations To Try
- Make cupcakes instead. I love parchment cups for this recipe to ensure the cupcakes don’t stick to the wrappers. You’ll need to bake for about 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Make in loaf pans. This cake is delicious in 2 loaf pans as well and just as easy so if you don’t have a bundt cake, this is a great option.
- Layered Cake. This cake can be made as a layered cake using two 8 inch or 9 inch pans. This Whipped Ganache frosting would be amazing on this cake.
- Add some nuts. Pecans and walnuts are a delicious addition.
- Omit the glaze. The glaze adds an additional layer of chocolate decadence but if it’s too much for you, just serve with some fresh whipped cream on the side and a sprinkle of cocoa powder.
Make Ahead and Storage
Can this cake be made ahead of time? Yes. This cake can be made a day or two in advance. I recommend making the glaze the day you plan on serving.
Can you freeze chocolate zucchini cake? Yes. Let cake cool completely and then wrap individual slices or whole cake in plastic wrap and then foil. Transfer to a freezer safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months. I recommend freezing the cake without the glaze.
More Cake Recipes To Enjoy
- Chocolate Pound Cake
- Peanut Butter Icebox Cake
- To Die For Carrot Cake
- Orange Creamsicle Cake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Cake
- Easy Ice Cream Cake
How To Make Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 2 to 3 medium zucchinis you want 2 to 3 cups shredded zucchini total
- 7 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups applesauce unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon optional
- 1 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 10 cup bundt pan generously and set aside.
- Grate the zucchinis and place on several layers of paper towels to absorb excess moisture. Use a towel and gently press the zucchini to release the moisture. You don't want it completely dry, just slightly less wet. I ended up with a couple of cups of grated zucchini but it honestly doesn't affect the recipe if you have more or less. I would say between 2 and 3 cups is perfect.
- Whisk granulated sugar, eggs, applesauce, butter, and vanilla extract together in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cocoa powder together. Reserve a couple tablespoons of the mixture, set aside.
- Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture just until combined.
- Combine the chocolate chips with the reserved flour mixture. Add chocolate chips and grated zucchini to the batter and stir just until all ingredients are combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake the cake for 55 to 65 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs. Let the cake cool for ten minutes before inverting onto a plate. Let cake cool completely.
- Combine butter, chocolate chips, and corn syrup in a microwaveable dish. I use my Pyrex glass measuring cup because it makes it easy to drizzle the glaze over the cake.
- Heat in the microwave in 30 seconds intervals at 50% power, stirring in between, until nicely melted.
- Stir in vanilla extract. Drizzle over the top of the cooled cake. Enjoy!
Originally published July 5, 2012.
This cake is so delicious, moist and
Chocolates. This is my new favorite recipe.
This looks like a great recipe. I’m trying to stay away from gluten and wonder if other flours could be substituted. I recognize it is just a 1/2 cup but if others would work it would be that much better. Oops just noticed that it’s actually 2 cups. Either way would subbing other flours work.
This looks like a great recipe. I’m trying to stay away from gluten and wonder if other flours could be substituted. I recognize it is just a 1/2 cup but if others would work it would be that much better.
Does it need to be kept refrigerated?
Trish - Mom On Timeout says
No it doesn’t Sandra but I do like the flavor better with a cold cake.
Made this exactly and results were moist and delicious . I want to make it again but not use chocolate so can I use this recipe without any chocolate and have the same results ?
Hi thank you for your recipe. I wouldnlive to make this but they don’t sell zuchini in my country 🙁 Can I substitute this?