This Lemon Zucchini Cake is definitive proof that lemon and zucchini belong together! Beautifully moist and undeniably delicious, this easy cake is topped with a lemon glaze that will keep you coming back for one more slice. An excellent way to use up that zucchini from your garden! Love zucchini recipes as much as I do? Make sure to try out this top rated Carrot Apple Zucchini Bread or this fantastic Zucchini Spice Cake.
This recipe is sponsored by Almond Breeze.
Lemon Zucchini Cake
Every year I meticulously plan my garden with one goal in mind – eating ALL the veggies! I don’t know why, but fruits and veggies from your own garden always taste so much better. Plus, my kiddos will actually pick and eat straight from the garden much better than anything I put on their plate.
My tomatoes are growing like gangbusters because of the crazy heat wave we had last week. 103-109 every day for a WEEK! It was awful. I kept praying that my air conditioner wasn’t going to break because it was literally running non-stop. It’s about 15 years old and I keep seeing our neighbors replacing theirs and it’s got me worried for sure…
Anyways, I have been waiting ever so patiently for my first zucchini to be ready so that I could make this amazing cake for you and it finally happened! I’ve got several more almost ready and I’m so excited because I live for zucchini recipes during the summer. I can’t let a summer go by with enjoying these Baked Zucchini Fries or indulging in this decadent Chocolate Zucchini Cake that only tastes indulgent. And of course, my personal favorite, Carrot Apple Zucchini Bread, it’s SO good!
This lemon zucchini cake is something special, really, in so many ways. One, it’s made with olive oil. Yes, you can totally sub in canola or vegetable oil but if you have it, try it with olive oil, it’s really fantastic.
Two, it’s summer time and I’m a little lazy during this season, so I make the cake in a loaf pan. No layers, no frosting, no fuss. We could even call this bread if we need to feel better about it 😉 In fact, I’m feeling so good about it, I’m eating a slice right now with a cup of coffee for breakfast. Boom! Bonus that I can eat it with my hands, no fork required.
Three, this cake is denser and moister than most other cakes. I made it just yesterday and between the four of us, there’s maybe one or two slices left from the entire loaf. It’s just irresistible.
Four, I used Almond Breeze Vanilla Almondmilk making it dairy free. HALLELUJAH! The vanilla almondmilk adds a lovely vanilla flavor that complements the cake but you can use the original flavor if you have that one on hand.
I add lemon juice and zest to the lemon zucchini cake batter to really brighten up the flavor. I also think that lemon and zucchini are incredible together. The glaze is super simple, a combination of powdered sugar and lemon juice. Just mix to your desired consistency and then drizzle all over the top.
The cake is not exceptionally sweet so the glaze is a really nice addition. You could even add a little lemon zest to the glaze if you want to amp up the lemon flavor.
This recipe is really so easy and perfect for summer. Reece has already asked when we’re making Lemon Zucchini Cake again… I asked him to go look in the garden for a ripe zucchini 😉
How To Make Lemon Zucchini Cake
Lemon Zucchini Cake
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/3 cup vanilla almondmilk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 2 cups cake flour can substitute AP flour following directions here
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup shredded zucchini drained and squeezed dry
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray a loaf pan with baking spray and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and olive oil. Whisk to combine.
- Add eggs and almondmilk and whisk together.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Add flour mixture and stir just until incorporated.
- Fold in zucchini and lemon zest.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out with moist crumbs. The top of the cake should look dry.
- Place the loaf on a cooling rack and cool for 15 minutes. Use the parchment paper to carefully life the cake from the pan. Let cool completely on rack.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice. Whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake.
- Slice and serve.
Love lemon as much as I do? Try out these great recipes!
For all cookie recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.
Have a great day!
Disclosure: This recipe is sponsored by Almond Breeze. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Mom On Timeout possible!