This outrageous Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Cake is the perfect dessert for summer! Layers of ice cream sit on a peanut butter crust and is piled high with hot fudge, Reese’s and whipped cream – amazing! Looking to cool off? Try this Brookie Ice Cream Sandwich and Easy Ice Cream Cake!
Sponsored post by Crystal Creamery. All opinions are my own.
Ice Cream Cake
Summer is officially here and to my family that means ice cream every.single.day.
We are definitely an ice cream loving family and if you live in a hot location like Sacramento, I’m sure you’ll agree that ice cream soothes the soul on a hot summer day.
This Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Cake is something special and worthy of a special occasion. It starts with a peanut butter crust made with Nutter Butters and that tasty crust is topped with a layer of hot fudge topping and Reese’s peanut butter cups.
Next is two layers of ice cream. I went with vanilla and Moose Tracks since those both complemented the chocolate-peanut butter theme.
The cake is then topped with a drizzle of hot fudge, whipped cream clouds, and Reese’s minis to finish it off. Just try to say no.
I have long been a fan of Crystal products so when I heard they had revamped their ice cream line, I headed to the store and stocked up. We took our time deciding on our new favorites and were pleased to discover our old favorites tasted even better than before!
If you’re not family with Crystal, they are a local California dairy that is committed to their community. As a California girl, born and bred, their products have been a part of my life as long as I can remember. Crystal is committed to cleaner, simpler ingredients and recognizes that not all milk is the same. Crystal Creamery milk is delivered fresh daily from local, family-run farms and is on store shelves in 24 hours.
Amazing Ingredients for Amazing Flavor
Crystal’s new ice cream is made with 100% California milk from cows not treated with rbst hormones and DOES NOT contain any of the following:
- high fructose corn syrup
- artificial flavors or colors
- artificial sweeteners
- mono & di-glycerides
Simpler ingredients that everyone can enjoy at an affordable price. That’s something I can definitely get behind… and top my cone with.
Does Ice Cream Cake Have Cake In It?
Whatever you want! Ice cream cake can be made with layers of ice cream and toppings, OR it can have a layer of cake in it as well.This particular recipe does not have cake in it but you can easily add a layer of cake. Here’s how:
- bake the cake in a 9 inch cake pan
- substitute the cake for one of the ice cream layers OR
- use only have of the ice cream called for in each layer and place the cake between the ice cream layers.
Ice Cream Cake Layers
This cake has a total of six layers:
- peanut butter crust – just like an Oreo crust or Nilla wafer crust, this crust is a simple mixture of peanut butter cookie crumbs and butter. And yes, I do realize that with a “crust” this cake is really more like a pie, but just go with it.
- hot fudge topping – can use store bought hot fudge topping or make your own.
- peanut butter cups -I used full size Reese’s peanut butter cups but you could chop up miniature Reese’s if you prefer.
- 1st layer of ice cream – I used Crystal’s Double Vanilla ice cream because it’s AMAZING.
- 2nd layer of ice cream – I used Crystal’s Moose Tracks ice cream because it’s the perfect complement to all the chocolate and peanut butter going on in this ice cream cake.
- hot fudge drizzles, whipped cream and Reese’s minis – I used fresh whipped cream to decorate but you can also use frozen whipped topping and spread it over the top of the cake and around the outside.
How To Make an Ice Cream Cake Without Cake
This cake is a great example of a “cake-less” ice cream cake. If you want to add a cake layer to this recipe, bake it in the same size pan as your springform pan is, in this case, 9 inches, Add it in place of one of the ice cream layers or use only have of the ice cream called for and place the cake between the ice cream layers.
Easy Ice Cream Cake
One of the easiest desserts you’ll make all summer, this easy ice cream cake is more about assembling ingredients than really having to bake or make anything. Perfect for busy summer days!
How To Make a Homemade Ice Cream Cake
Ice cream cakes need to be made in advance so they have a chance to freeze completely. Otherwise, you’ll have a melted mess on your hands.
You do have to think ahead of time because you will need to freeze each individual layer for the best results. Here is what I do:
- Make peanut butter crust and press into springform pan. Pop in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Spread on layer of hot fudge topping and top with Reese’s. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Spread slightly softened ice cream on top of hot fudge/Reese’s layer, and freeze for AT LEAST 1 hour. You want it to be pretty firm.
- Spread slightly softened second flavor of ice cream on top of first layer. Cover and freeze for AT LEAST 6 hours, preferably overnight.
Day 2 (serving day!):
- Remove ice cream cake from freezer. Drizzle hot fudge topping over the top of the cake.
- Prepare whipped cream. Pipe onto the top of the cake and top with Reese’s minis. Serve immediately!
Can I use other flavors of ice cream? Yes! Any flavors you want. This recipe is more a method that can be used to create virtually any number of flavors combinations.
Do I have to make homemade whipped cream? No, you can frost the cake with frozen whipped topping if you prefer. It won’t pipe well but it freezes great so you could remove the cake from the springform pan and frost the entire cake and return to the freezer until you are about ready to serve.
How long before serving should I remove the cake from the freezer? 15 minutes but if you are decorating, it takes a few minutes so don’t take it out too far in advance or it will melt.
Does this cake travel well? No, it sure doesn’t. It’s pretty impossible to keep it frozen solid while transporting so I would serve at the location you made it.
More Must Make Summer Desserts
- Key Lime Pie Fruit Dip
- Chocolate Chip No Bake Cheesecake
- Dark Chocolate Magic Shell
- Peanut Butter Icebox Cake
- To Die For Carrot Cake
How To Make Ice Cream Cake
Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Cake
Peanut Butter Crust
- 24 Nutter Butter Cookies or similar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter melted
- 10 ounces hot fudge topping room temperature or warmed slightly if needed
- 12 Reese's peanut butter cups full size
- 1 1/2 quarts vanilla ice cream
- 1 1/2 quarts Moose Tracks Ice Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces hot fudge topping room temperature
- 8 Reese's minis
- Add the Nutter Butter Cookies to your food processor until they are crushed to a fine crumb, then add in the butter and mix well.
- Press into the bottom of a springform pan and up the sides about an inch. Place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Pour a layer of hot fudge topping on top of the crust and spread with a spoon. Top with peanut butter cups. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Spread softened vanilla ice cream on top of peanut butter cups. Cover and freeze for AT LEAST 3 hours.
- Spread softened Moose Tracks ice cream on top of vanilla ice cream. Smooth top, cover and freeze for AT LEAST 6 hours or overnight.
Prepare Whipped Cream
- Add heavy whipping cream to the bowl of a stand mixer or large bowl and beat on medium high speed for a minute or two until soft peaks form.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer to a piping bag with your desired tip and pipe swirls on top of cake.
- Remove ice cream cake from freezer and remove from springform pan. The cake may need to sit for a few minutes before it will easily release.
- Drizzle room temperature hot fudge sauce over the top of the cake and pipe whipped cream swirls. Top each whipped cream swirl with a Reese's mini.
- Serve immediately.
Loved it! The crust is great. I added a melted peanut butter layer for a salty contrast. For the last layer before the whipped cream I added king-size, vertically sliced ReeseSticks which added a nice texture. I made this in a square springform pan which made slicing easy.Thanks for the yummy recipe!
Delish! Served this today for my sister’s birthday dessert. Love the crust. Made it in a square springform and baked the crust 9 minutes before freezing. Followed the recipe but added a couple of peanut butter layers to cut the sweet. Before adding the whipped cream I added slices of Reese’s ReeseSticks, sliced, too the top fudge layer. The crispy texture was great. Thanks for the inspiration!
Patricia Jones says
wow..This is an amazing cake and its looks soo yummy & more delicious also…i will trying to make it few days later…Thanks for sharing….!
Rahul Yadav says
Ice cream cake might be my favorite and it sounds like this one would be amazing!