This Zucchini Quiche with Bacon and Hash Brown Crust is perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner or any time in between! The crispy hash brown crust just takes it over the top and did I mention BACON?? This easy quiche recipe is the perfect way to use up extra zucchini!
This recipe is sponsored by Safeway.
Zucchini Quiche with Bacon and Hash Brown Crust
If there is one food on earth that works for breakfast, lunch and dinner, it has to be quiche. I could literally eat quiche 3 or 4 times a week and never get sick of it. Why? Because they are inherently versatile. It’s so easy to switch up the types of cheese, veggies, and meat that go into a quiche. Not to mention the crust. Oh the crust! While I am never one to pass on a good pastry crust, there is just something about a hash brown crust that brings quiche together in a very magical way.
Years ago, I shared this zucchini and green chile quiche that my sister had made for me. I went home and proceeded to make it over and over and over again. It is simply fantastic. Today, I’m sharing a play off of that recipe, but I’ve made it even better. One word: BACON.
Bacon and a hash brown crust. I mean, amiright? This is going to be go-to summer quiche recipe from now on. Here’s the thing, I made this delicious quiche recipe with the very best ingredients I could find and you can taste it in every single bite. I used some of my very favorite Open Nature® products available in my area exclusively at my local stores:
- Open Nature Applewood Smoked Bacon << you won’t be able to go back once you try this bacon – it’s soooo good!
- Open Nature Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt Strained << I keep this on hand for protein shakes and baking and I can’t believe what it did for this quiche – incredible! I keep the individual 5 oz cups on hand for quick snacks too – so yummy with some fresh fruit and granola!
- Open Nature Cage Free Eggs << only the best for my family! We go through A LOT of eggs in our house and these eggs really shine, just delicious! Great value and quality which y’all know I love.
I love this line of products because it embodies all that I want for my family – clean, high quality, minimally processed, no artificial ingredients. Open Nature offers over 400 products that go a long way in making me feel better about what I feed my family.
I buy my Open Nature products at my local Safeway, and you can also find them exclusively at all of the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Shaw’s, Star Market, and Carrs/Safeway. Visit Safeway.com to find a store near you and discover more meal prep tips and recipe ideas.
You can really use any combination of cheese you want in this quiche but I do recommend that you use at least two different kinds. I really find that gives more depth and complexity of flavor to this quiche recipe. I used a combination of sharp cheddar and Dubliner – delish!
Tips for the Best Zucchini Quiche
- Make sure you reeeeally squeeze that zucchini – use those muscles! You want as much moisture out as possible before baking. That is why I sauté it for a few minutes with the shallots. It’s a way to get even a little more of that moisture out. (LOTS of great zucchini recipes here!)
- Speaking of shallots… do not freak out if you can’t find them, don’t want them, etc. Shallots are just an easy way to get a mellowow onion and garlic flavor. Substitute an onion of your choice if you prefer.
- You might be wondering where the milk or cream is at in this zucchini quiche recipe. Don’t. The Greek yogurt takes care of everything – adding richness, creaminess, and moisture to the quiche as well as protein (fist bump).
- The hash brown crust is amazing but if you prefer a pastry/pie crust, just hop over to this quiche recipe and follow the instructions there for the crust. Easy peasy!
Connect with Safeway on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram
This Zucchini Quiche with Bacon and Hash Brown Crust is perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner or any time in between! The crispy hash brown crust just takes it over the top and did I mention BACON?? This easy quiche recipe is the perfect way to use up that extra zucchini!
- 3 cups refrigerated or frozen hash browns, thawed, patted dry
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 lb bacon, cooked, crumbled
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 cups shredded cheese (Sharp Cheddar, Gruyere, Monterey Jack, Dubliner, Pepper Jack - a combination of 2 or more works best)
Grate the zucchini onto a clean kitchen towel and squeeze dry, removing as much excess liquid as possible. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 400F. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine, hash browns, olive oil, butter, salt, and pepper and toss to combine.
Press hash browns into the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate firmly, forming a crust. You want it to go all the way up the sides because it will shrink some while baking.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
Reduce oven temperature to 350F.
Cook bacon in a large sauté pan over medium high heat until crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and crumble into small pieces.
Remove all but one tablespoon of the bacon grease from the skillet. Add the diced shallots and sauté over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until translucent and soft.
Add shredded zucchini turn up the heat to high. Season with salt and pepper. Cook the zucchini and shallots for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until nice and fluffy (2 to 3 minutes). Whisk in the Greek yogurt until combined and smooth.
Add in the grated cheese, flour mixture, bacon, and zucchini mixture and stir until combined.
Pour filling into hash brown crust and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until center is set, the top is puffed and golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let stand for several minutes before removing from pan and serving. Can also be eaten room temperature or chilled.
More zucchini favorites!
For all breakfast recipes, go HERE.
For all dinner recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.
Have a great day!
Disclosure: This recipe is sponsored by Safeway. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Mom On Timeout possible!