BEST Coconut Cream Pie EVER! This is my Dad’s favorite pie and it is truly amazing! Made with coconut milk for extra creamy, coconut flavor! Best part? The custard. And I totally made it in the microwave.
My Dad is a bit predictable. I can tell you almost exactly what he wants for his birthday each year. And we’re talking food here 🙂
He frequently chooses my Nana’s To-Die-For Carrot Cake or her German Chocolate Cake (a recipe I keep meaning to share but the cake always gets eaten too quickly…). His other favorite is Coconut Cream Pie. On the rare occasion we go out to eat for his birthday, he likes to go to Marie Callender’s. And it’s for one simple reason. Their pie. He has about a half-dozen favorites but his number one, go-to pie is their Coconut Cream Pie.
My sister has made it for him in the past but this year it’s all me. His birthday is tomorrow and the menu has been set.
- BBQ Beef Ribs with my mom’s killer bbq sauce.
- Spinach Dip
- Dad’s Green Jell-O Salad (recipe coming next week)
- Coconut Cream Pie
I have to say, I’m excited 🙂 This is just what I’m bringing and I know my sister is always good for a yummy fruit salad and some additional treats.
I was feeling a bit lazy so I made the custard filling in the microwave. For those of you that just freaked out a little, trust me, it’s totally okay. And quick. And easy. And my preferred method 🙂
The coconut cream filling is the best part, bar none. I used coconut milk – not lite! – and half and half for an ultra-creamy and rich filling. Coconut extract takes the filling over the top but if you don’t have any or can’t find it, vanilla extract also works beautifully.
I pulled out all the stops and made a fresh whipped cream topping but if you’re feeling exhausted from microwaving the custard filling, Cool Whip is an easy and delicious alternative.
Lightly toasted coconut sprinkled on top finishes the pie and gives the pie a delicate finish.
I am so excited to be bringing this up to my Dad’s this weekend and I know he is going to LOVE it! I’m betting you are going to love it too! This pie is soooo easy to make and so fabulous – definitely a recipe you need to try!
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- 1½ cups half and half
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk, beaten
- ¾ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup corn starch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, divided
- 1 tsp coconut extract (or vanilla)
- 1 deep dish pie shell, baked and cooled (I used Pillsbury)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbls powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla or coconut extract
- Combine coconut milk, half and half, eggs, sugar, corn starch and salt in a large, microwave safe bowl. (I use my large Pyrex measuring cup.) Stir.
- Microwave on high for one minute, stir. Repeat until a thick custard has developed. 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in 1½ cups coconut and coconut extract.
- Pour coconut custard into cooled pie shell.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread coconut on baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Keep continuous watch on the coconut - it burns easily.
- Whip heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add in sugar and extract and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream on top of coconut custard and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- Keep refrigerated.
More of my Dad’s favorite recipes:
For all pie recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.