These Coconut Butterscotch Chocolate Chip Gooey Bars are sure to be a hit! So much flavor in one bite! Perfect for potlucks, picnics, road trips and more!
This past week my sister flew out to California from Virginia to spend the week with us. Well, spend the week with us AND go to Disneyland. Sometimes a little bribery goes a long way.
We had an incredible vacation and created memories that will keep us going until we can fly her out again. Yesterday was the last day of her stay with us and Reece and Bryce were sniffling in the car on the way back from the airport. It’s hard for all of us to not be close to Ashley and her husband but it sure makes us cherish the time we do get to spend together.
As you can imagine, we did a heck of a lot of eating at Disneyland. A LOT. But, in an effort to cut costs, I like to pack snacks and treats so we’re not having to stop every 10 minutes to buy something for my hungry little guys.
These bars were a HUGE hit with everyone and I know you and your family will love them too.
I am a huge fan of butterscotch and together with coconut and chocolate it’s something truly magical. The bars are made with a layer of sweetened condensed milk in the center creating a fabulously gooey center that is truly irresistible.
The cookie part of these bars includes oats which adds a ton of texture and overall chewiness to the bars and also makes them quite filling. Perfect for an on-the-go treat.
I truly hope you are creating wonderful memories with your family this summer. And if you’ve got a road trip coming up, make some of these bars, you won’t regret it!
Coconut Butterscotch Chocolate Chip Gooey Bars
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups flaked sweetened coconut
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vegetable oil or coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish or line with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, salt, oats, coconut, and brown sugar in a large bowl of electric mixer and mix at low speed.
- Add butter and continue mixing until a crumbly dough forms. Add egg and vanilla extract and continue mixing until combined. Stir in chocolate and butterscotch chips.
- Reserve 1-1/2 cups of dough for topping. Press remaining dough into bottom prepared baking dish. (Sprinkle on some more chocolate chips if desired.)
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over the hot crust.
- Top evenly with the reserved cookie dough.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Cool and cut into bars.
- Combine chocolate chips and oil in a small bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments on high heat, stirring in between, until fully melted. Drizzle over top of cooled bars. Let set up before serving.
Bars I can’t resist:
For all dinner recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.