Maple Sage Smashed Yams with Marshmallow Butter – the side dish everyone will be yammering about for days (pun intended)! This easy side dish is packed full of flavor, takes less than 30 minutes to prepare, doesn’t require the oven, and can be made ahead of time! You’re welcome 🙂 Preparing for Thanksgiving? Don’t forget The BEST Dinner Rolls, The Best Turkey Gravy Recipe, and Slow Cooker Turkey Breast with Citrus and Herbs!
I am seriously a meat and potatoes kind of girl. Simple, bold flavors are my thing. I think that’s why I love the holidays so much, because not only am I getting my fill of every kind of sweet and treat imaginable, I’ve got the turkey and ham to look forward to as well.
So much focus is put on the main dish and the desserts that I often feel like the side dishes get left in the dust. This week I’m going to share a few simple side dishes that will WOW your guests this holiday season. We’re starting with these yams. Now there are a million and one ways to make yams – and I haven’t tasted a yam dish that I didn’t like.
These smashed yams are something special though and still take less than 30 minutes to prepare – start to finish. My favorite part is that they don’t require an oven and can absolutely be made ahead of time. Also, they sounds kinda fancy, right? Maple Sage Smashed Yams with Marshmallow Butter…no one needs to know how easy they are!
So let’s start with the actual smashed yams – before we get to that gooey marshmallow butter 🙂 This is a beautiful side dish unto itself and if you’re looking to cut sugar and calories, it would absolutely be fine to leave off the marshmallow butter. We can’t be friends though if you do…so think long and hard about that.
How To Make Yams
The yams are boiled until tender, about 20 minutes, and then smashed together with half and half (or cream!), maple syrup and fresh sage. It’s incredible! If you didn’t know already, maple syurp and yams BELONG together. This dish proves it.
Once the yams are smashed, you can pop them in the fridge and warm up at your convenience OR if you’re ready to serve, make the marshmallow butter.
What is marshmallow butter you ask? Exactly what it sounds like 🙂 Marshmallow and butter are melted together in the microwave (wahoo!) along with a few other special ingredients including orange juice and pecans. Once melted, pour that goodness right over the bowl of smashed yams and serve. Delish!
Complete Thanksgiving with These Favorites:
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole + VIDEO
- The BEST Dinner Rolls
- Slow Cooker Turkey Breast with Citrus and Herbs
- The Best Turkey Gravy Recipe
- The BEST Homemade Crescent Rolls
- Nana’s Famous Green Beans
- Stuffing Recipe with Sausage Cranberries and Apples
How to Make Yams
Maple Sage Smashed Yams with Marshmallow Butter
- This recipe can easily be doubled.
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil.
- Peel yams and cut into 3 - 4 inch chunks. Place in boiling water and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain well and return yams to pot.
- Smash yams together with half and half, sage, maple syrup, butter, salt and pepper.
- If making ahead of time, cool, cover and refrigerate. Warm before serving.
- When ready to serve:
- Combine marshmallows, butter, pecans, orange juice, and cayenne in a microwave safe container. Heat on high for 30 seconds, stir. Repeat until butter has melted and marshmallows have softened and partially melted.
- Serve with mashed yams or pour on top and serve together.
Everything you need for a Thanksgiving meal! Need more ideas? You’ll find a TON here!
For all appetizer recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.