This Lazy Day Lasagna recipe is perfect for busy weeknights! A couple of tricks and a super simple recipe yields sensational results! Try it tonight!
There are many MANY nights that I am craving the cheesy goodness of lasagna. I mean, what’s not to love? All those layers of perfectly savory meat, cheese, and noodles….um, YUM.
I make lasagna A LOT. And more often that not, it’s this Lazy Day Lasagna that fits into my schedule. This lasagna reicpe is super quick to pull together and is perfect for busy weeknights. I use a trick my mom taught me, back when no boil noodles were not readily available, to cut down on time.
I’ve made a few changes from my childhood recipe including swapping out the cottage cheese for ricotta but honestly, both are so good.
If you find yourself with a little extra time, go ahead and throw in some chopped onion after the meat has finished browning for some additional flavor and texture. One last thing, I used lean ground beef in this recipe but half beef and half pork make for a tasty combination.
Serve with a side salad, some French bread and you’re all set! I hope you love this easy dinner as much as we do!
- 1 lb. dry lasagna noodles (you'll use a little more than half the box)
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (or half beef and have pork)
- 1 24 oz. jar marinara or pasta sauce - your favorite brand
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 15 oz. container ricotta or cottage cheese
- 12 oz. mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Lightly spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread ⅔ cups of the marinara sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top with lasagna noodles.
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet. Drain off the fat.
- Pour in the remaining marinara sauce. Add the water to the jar, replace the lid and shake to loosen up the remaining sauce. Pour into the skillet and stir in.
- Simmer the meat sauce for 5 minutes.
- Scatter about one-third of the ricotta cheese on top of the lasagna noodles. Sprinkle on 3 oz of the mozzarella cheese. Top with about one-third of the meat sauce.
- Add another layer of lasagna noodles and press down slightly.
- Repeat with ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and meat sauce - two more times.
- Top with remaining mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes until the noodles are fork-tender. (The additional water and the steam created by covering the baking dish will cook the noodles.)
- Remove aluminum foil and bake for another 7-8 minutes or until cheese is nice and bubbly.
- Let the lasagna rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
More easy dinner recipes: