This Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole is the perfect way to use up leftover ham! Extra cheesy and delicious, this casserole takes just minutes to throw together and feeds a crowd!
I am starting to get excited for Easter! Just a few days away and I’ve got Easter baskets ready to go, eggs stuffed for the hunt, and a ham in my fridge. The ham is what I’m most excited about.
Ham is my FAVORITE. I totally look forward to making a big ham each Christmas and Easter because we always have leftovers. And leftover ham is the best. I use it in all sorts of recipes like Chicken Cordon Bleu Crescent Rolls, Ham and Cheese Breakfast Bars, and this awesome Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole that I’m sharing with you today.
This casserole makes an appearance about a half dozen times each year. Usually at Christmas, Easter (or shortly thereafter), Mother’ Day, and random weekend mornings. I can count on my sister calling me on Christmas Eve to ask for the recipe. This happens annually ever since I moved out about 10 years ago 🙂
Extra cheesy and packed with flavor, it takes just minutes to throw together and then it’s off to the oven. I usually use cheddar or monterey jack but any cheese will do. Make it with pepper jack for an extra kick!
Most casseroles tend to be wildly versatile and this one is no exception. The peppers can be swapped out for different veggies and the ham can be swapped out for any breakfast meat of your choice (we love it with sausage!).
For Christmas I use red and green bell peppers and it’s both fun and festive. I had an assortment of peppers today so I used parts of a red, green, and yellow bell pepper. Use what you have.
The casserole reheats beautifully if you have any leftovers!
Ham and Cheese Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- 1 tbsp olive oil 1 to 2 tbsp
- 1 onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 eggs
- 12 oz evaporated milk 1 can
- 2 cups 8 oz shredded cheese (cheddar, Monterey jack, any will work)
- 30 oz frozen hash brown potatoes 1 bag - keep frozen
- 12 oz diced ham
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan over over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minute until onions are translucent.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Whisk in the evaporated milk.
- Stir in the cheese, frozen hash brown potatoes, and the ham.
- Stir in the onion and pepper mixture.
- Transfer the contents of the bowl to the baking dish and bake for 70 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Serve hot.
More breakfasts we love!
For all breakfast recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.