Caramel Apple Empanadas are the perfect way to get in a quick caramel apple fix without all the fuss! Perfect for an after-school snack or a quick dessert – these empanadas take less than 20 minutes to pull together and bake! My kind of treat 🙂
Caramel Apple Empanadas
Remember that caramel apple craze I told you about?? Yeah. It’s not over. Last night I could hardly sleep for all the caramel apple ideas that were popping into my head – 99% of which will never be remembered. Isn’t that how it always goes? My best ideas always come at night when I’m lying in bed trying to go to sleep.
I’ve seriously thought about starting to record my ideas on a voice recorder so I won’t forget. In the morning those ideas that seemed so bright and fresh are always a bit hazy.
This, of course, has nothing to do with this particular recipe so let me start again.
So this caramel apple craving had to be satisfied yet again just a few days ago. I was thinking about a caramel apple pie and got all excited….headed to the kitchen and found that I had only two Granny Smith apples and one pie crust. Not gonna happen.
But then I was like – wait a minute! I’ll just make up some mini Caramel Apple Pies. And that’s just what I did! Well that’s what I thought I did anyways. No. My husband came home, took one look at my “pies” and proclaimed them Caramel Apple Empanadas. Since he’s Peruvian, I’ll just take his word for it 🙂
These are pretty much the simplest treat you can make – I’m talking less than 20 minutes TOTAL. Great for an after-school snack or double, triple, quadruple the recipe for a crowd. Just a word of caution – don’t go crazy with the caramel on the inside. You will regret it 🙂
More Apple Recipes
- Easy Apple Tart with Caramel Sauce
- Apple Muffins with Crumb Topping
- Homemade Apple Pie Spice
- Caramel Apple Dip
- Baked Apple Pie Dip
- Snickers Salad
How To Make Caramel Apple Empanadas
Caramel Apple Empanadas
- 1 Granny Smith apple peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- dash of allspice
- ½ cup caramel bits or 15 unwrapped soft caramels
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 refrigerated pie crust – I used Pillsbury
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- sanding sugar to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss apples with lemon juice.
- Combine sugar and spices and sprinkle over apples. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Unroll pie crust on a lightly floured surface. Roll out just slightly.
- Cut out 8 rounds using a 4 inch cutter.
- Place pie crusts rounds on parchment-lined sheet.
- Place each apple wedge on the rounds – slightly off center, leaving room to seal the empanada later.
- Melt the caramel bits and milk together in a microwave safe bowl on high for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat until caramel is fully melted and smooth.
- Drizzle 1 tsp of caramel onto each apple being careful to stay away from the edge.
- Brush edges of rounds with egg and press edges together to seal. Use a fork to crimp the edges shut.
- Brush the tops of the empanadas with egg and sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown and let cool slightly.
- Reheat caramel if necessary and then drizzle over the top of empanadas and serve.
Originally published September 12, 2013.
Now I am always, always hesitant to call anything empanadas because I feel like Chris’s mom might have something to say about it. I have been wanting to share her empanadas recipe FOREVER but can’t seem to get ahold of it…this sweet empanada is just going to have to do for now 🙂