There is no better way to usher in fall than with these delicious Caramel Apple Cupcakes.
Moist cupcakes loaded with apples and applesauce for double the apple flavor. A decadent caramel frosting tops them off beautifully. Popsicle sticks not optional.
If you’re a fan of fall, you’re probably a fan of caramel apples. At least I am! There are few things I look more forward to than visiting Apple Hill and eating ALL THE APPLES as soon as fall officially hits.
You guys, it’s H.E.R.E. Fall is officially here and there is no better time than to enjoy the fruits of the season. I am a big fan of caramel apples. We have a tradition of each of us buying one as we leave Apple Hill and enjoying it all the way home. (We also do this when we leave Disneyland!)
Every year I am inspired to create yet another caramel apple recipe and this one may be my most favorite yet. And yes, I do realize that I say this every year 🙂
If you love caramel apples as much as I do, you’re going to go crazy for these Caramel Apple Cupcakes. Delicious, moist apple cupcakes are topped with a caramel frosting that is exactly what you’d find on a caramel apple.
There’s a lot to love about these easy apple cupcakes. Let’s start with the actual cupcake. I made the cupcakes with shredded apple and applesauce for serious apple flavor. If you love apple chunks in your cupcakes, by all means, go for it. I do love how the shredded apple is unobtrusive but still packs a lot of flavor and of course, adds tons of moisture. The applesauce is equally awesome.
I will say that the two combined do create an exceptionally moist cupcake and so I do recommend using parchment liners for easy peel-off. Most of the cupcakes peeled right away from these paper wrappers, but we did have one or two that were tricky. You can always substitute oil in for the applesauce should you desire. I for one love cupcakes made with applesauce, makes me feel better about this awesome “frosting” we’ve got going on here.
The frosting is simply soft caramels melted with a bit of heavy cream. Even better, it’s all done in the microwave and takes less than 2 minutes. The caramel is just spooned right on top of the cooled cupcakes and it’s just magical. Sooo good!
The kids suggested these popsicle sticks and I have to say, super cute!
More apple recipes to try:
- Carrot Apple Zucchini Bread
- Dutch Apple Pie Cheesecake Bars
- The Best Homemade Apple Pie Filling
- Apple Walnut Strudel
How To Make Caramel Apple Cupcakes
Caramel Apple Cupcakes
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce OR vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded apple Rome, Granny Smith, or other baking apple or combination of two varieties
- 1 11 oz bag of caramels
- 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a muffin tin with parchment baking liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until smooth.
- Whisk in the applesauce and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture until combined.
- Stir in the shredded apples.
- Evenly divide the batter between the 12 cups.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Transfer cupcakes to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Unwrap caramels and place in a microwave safe bowl.
- Stir in heavy cream.
- Microwave at 50% power for 1 minutes. Stir. Repeat int 30 second intervals until caramels are melted and smooth.
- Spoon frosting onto the top of cooled cupcakes and spread. You want a nice thick layer. If the caramel starts to thicken, microwave for another 30 seconds at 50% power, stir, and spread on cupcakes.
- Popsicle sticks are optional 🙂
More caramel apple madness…
For all cookie recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.