These irresistible BBQ Air Fryer Chicken Wings are perfectly seasoned, crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside! With a blend of savory spices and your favorite BBQ sauce, this quick and easy recipe is perfect for game day, family dinners, or a night in with friends.
Still hungry for more appetizers? Make sure to try these Chex Mix Recipe, Deviled Eggs and Spinach Artichoke Dip!
Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipe
There is no appetizer more beloved than chicken wings. Crispy, flavorful and finger licking good, wings are an appetizer that everyone can get behind. Whether you’re a fan of spicy or sweet, there’s a flavor for everyone. Making chicken wings in the air fryer reduces the cooking time, makes less mess and ensures a perfectly crispy wing every.single.time. Make wings this way just once, and you’ll be hooked for life!
This easy and flavorful recipe will have you savoring each bite of the perfectly crispy exterior and juicy interior. Perfect for a quick dinner or as a party snack, this recipe is sure to become a staple in your kitchen. These wings are sure to satisfy your cravings! With just a few simple ingredients and the magic of your air fryer, you’ll have mouth-watering wings ready in no time.
Chicken Wings In Air Fryer
Appetizers are one of my all time favorite foods to make in my air fryer. I love that it essentially forces “batch cooking” which ensures that hot and flavorful appetizers are coming out of my kitchen at regular intervals. I do all the work in advance, like making the seasoning blend for the chicken, and then when I’m ready, it’s just a matter of tossing them into the air fryer and letting it work it’s magic.
One of the things I love most about air fryer cooking is that you can easily check on the progress of your recipe by opening the basket (unlike with an instant pot). You’ll find that comes in really handy, especially when making air fryer chicken wings. Wings come in all sizes so depending on the size of your wings, you may want to adjust the cooking time slightly.
The barbecue sauce in this recipe is totally optional. I love a sticky, saucy wing so that’s how I made this batch. Use your favorite barbecue sauce (any flavor works!) or make your own. Should you choose to omit the barbecue sauce, you will need to flip the wings and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Love your air fryer as much as I do? Here are more of our favorite air fryer recipes:
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- Easy Air Fryer Garlic Bread
- Air Fryer Pickles
- Air Fryer Bacon
This Air Fryer Chicken Wings recipe is so addicting and will instantly become a staple in your home. As always, you can find the full printable recipe with complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post. Let’s take a look at what you’ll need…
- chicken wings – The chicken wings are, of course, the star of this recipe. You can buy them already cut into wings and drumettes or cut them yourself.
- oil – You want to use an oil with a high smoke point so canola, avocado, or grapeseed oil, are what I recommend. You only need a tablespoon or two to get the wings nice and crispy!
- brown sugar – This is an optional ingredient but it adds a touch of sweetness to the wings.
- baking powder – The baking powder will help the wings crisp up in the air fryer.
- seasonings – You’ll need salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, ground mustard, and cayenne pepper. This blend of spices give the wings their delicious flavor.
- BBQ sauce – Another optional ingredient. The wings are terrific on their own but if you enjoy a saucy wing like I do, use your favorite brand of BBQ sauce to brush on the wings at the end.
How To Make Chicken Wings in Air Fryer
This easy recipe is a go-to for game day but we also enjoy these wings for dinner! They take less than 5 minutes to prep and under 20 minutes to cook. Perfectly crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside, these wings are sure to impress.
- Prepare. Preheat the air fryer to 400°F if your air fryer needs preheating. Cut the wings into drumettes and flats if necessary and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Season. Toss the chicken wings with oil until coated. Mix together the brown sugar (if using), salt, pepper, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, ground mustard, and cayenne pepper (if using). Sprinkle the mixture over the chicken wings and toss to evenly coat.
- Fry. Spray the basket of the air fryer with nonstick cooking spray. Place a single layer of wings in the basket. Cook for 8-9 minutes, flip the wings, and continue cooking for an additional 5-7 minutes or until crispy.
- Sauce. Remove the wings from the air fryer and brush BBQ sauce onto each piece. Return the wings to the air fryer and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until an inserted thermometer reads 165°F in the thickest part of the chicken.
- Enjoy. Serve the hot wings with celery, blue cheese dressing, additional BBQ sauce, or ranch dressing (optional).
The BEST Air Fryer Chicken Wings
When making this chicken wings air fryer recipe, it’s a good idea to check on them occasionally to make sure they are cooking evenly and to prevent over cooking or possibly burning. I find that using a meat thermometer is helpful in ensuring that the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F. Additionally, it’s important to let the chicken rest for a few minutes after cooking to allow the juices to redistribute. This simple step will result in the best air fryer chicken wings that are juicy and tender on the inside and crispy on the outside. Enjoy!
Leftover wings should be cooled and then transferred to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, pop them in the air fryer or oven for a few minutes until they’re crispy again.
To freeze, transfer to a freezer safe, airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge and reheat in the oven or air fryer.
Variations To Try
There are many ways to vary this recipe to suit your taste preferences. You can try using different BBQ sauces, adding different spices to the seasoning blend, or even using hot sauce instead of BBQ sauce. The possibilities are endless!
Trish’s Tips and Tricks
Here are a few tips to help you make the best Air Fryer Chicken Wings:
- Thoroughly dry the chicken wings before cooking. This will help them crisp up in the air fryer.
- Make sure to spray the basket of the air fryer with a nonstick cooking spray before cooking the chicken wings. This will help prevent sticking and makes clean up a breeze.
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer basket. Cook the chicken wings in multiple batches, if necessary.
- Brush the BBQ sauce onto the wings at the end of cooking. This will help the sauce stick to the wings and not burn in the air fryer.
- The cook time listed in the recipe is based on average-sized chicken wings. If your wings are smaller or larger, you may need to adjust the cooking time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Got questions about this air fryer chicken wings recipe? We’ve got answers!
Yes, you can use frozen chicken wings, but the cooking time will need to be adjusted. Plan on cooking for about 25 to 30 minutes, flipping the wings halfway through.
Wondering how long to cook chicken wings in air fryer? It depends on their size but typically between 15 and 2o minutes. You can tell when the chicken wings are fully cooked when an inserted thermometer reads 165°F. They should be able to pull apart easily.
Simply place the wings in the air fryer and reheat at 350°F for about 5 minutes or until heated through.
Wings are traditionally served with carrot and celery sticks along with ranch or blue cheese dressing.
More Appetizer Recipes To Try
How To Cook Chicken Wings In Air Fryer
BBQ Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil avocado oil or grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar optional
- 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce of your choice
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Cut the wings into drumettes and flats if necessary.
- Pat dry each piece of chicken with a paper towel.
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken wings with oil until evenly coated.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the brown sugar (if using), salt, pepper, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, ground mustard, and cayenne pepper (if using).
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture over the chicken wings and toss to evenly coat.
- Spray the basket of the air fryer with nonstick cooking spray. Place a single layer of wings in the basket. Repeat this step for any additional batches.
- Cook for 8-9 minutes, flip the wings, and continue cooking for an additional 5-7 minutes or until crispy.
- Remove the wings from the air fryer and brush BBQ sauce onto each piece.
- Return the wings to the air fryer and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until an inserted thermometer reads 165°F in the thickest part of the chicken.
- Serve the hot wings with celery, blue cheese dressing, additional BBQ sauce, or ranch dressing (optional). Enjoy!
Leave a Reply