These homemade Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks are so easy to make! Crispy on the outside with gooey, string cheese on the inside, this quick and easy air fryer appetizer comes together in a few simple steps!
Mozzarella Sticks: Air Fryer Method
Homemade mozzarella sticks are so fun to make and taste SO much better than those frozen ones you get in the store. They take mere minutes to pull together and then the air fryer does all the work. Before you know it, you’ve got a crispy, cheesy appetizer that the whole family will love. So great for game day!
These air fryer cheese sticks give you the crispy, flavorful breading that you love, with the gooey, stringy cheese inside. Best of all, they are easy to make with just a few simple steps. Make a big batch and keep some in the freezer for the next time a big craving hits!
Check out my Freezer-Friendly Baked Mozzarella Sticks too!
More Air Fryer Recipes
Using your air fryer more and more like we are? Here are a few more recipes to try out:
- Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken
- Air Fryer Pickles
- Lemon Pepper Wings – Baked or Air Fried!
- Air Fryer Tater Tots
- Air Fryer Donuts – Biscuit Donuts
- Perfect Bacon Every Time Air Fryer Bacon
- Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts with Garlic and Parmesan
- Air Fryer Shrimp
As always, you can find the full printable recipe with complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post. Let’s take a quick look at what you’ll need:
- mozzarella cheese sticks – use your favorite brand. Whole milk mozzarella cheese sticks have the stringiest cheese pull, though part-skim will also work.
- all purpose flour – the first step in the breading process.
- seasonings – kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, dried oregano and paprika. Try smoked paprika for a delicious twist!
- eggs – helps the bread crumbs stick to the mozzarella sticks.
- Panko bread crumbs – Panko crumbs are used to give you the best crunch! Regular bread crumbs may be substituted, if desired.
- olive oil spray – sprayed on the sticks so they crisp up in the air fryer.
How To Make Mozzarella Sticks In Air Fryer
- Prep breading bowls. In a shallow bowl whisk together the flour, salt, and pepper. In a separate shallow dish, whisk the eggs well. Prepare a third shallow bowl or pie plate with the Panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder, oregano, and paprika, mixing until combined.
- Bread mozzarella sticks. Cut each mozzarella stick in half. Working one at a time, place a mozzarella stick into the flour and turn to coat well. Dust off any excess flour, then dip into the egg mixture, coating the cheese stick completely. Allow excess egg mixture to drip off. Place the cheese stick in the Panko breading and press the crumbs into the cheese.
- Freeze. Line the coated cheese sticks onto a parchment lined tray and place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. Refrigerate the egg mixture between uses.
- Repeat breading process. Remove from freezer and dip each stick back into the egg mixture, then again in the Panko crumbs. Return to the freezer for an additional 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat air fryer. Preheat your air fryer to 390°F (199°C) for 5 minutes. Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray.
- Air fry sticks. Place the mozzarella sticks into the bottom of the basket in a single layer, with space between each stick. You will need to work in batches. Spray the mozzarella sticks lightly with olive oil spray. Cook in the air fryer for 5-8 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and the breading is crispy.
Forget the breading order? Just remember F-E-B ➡️ Flour – Egg – Breadcrumbs 🙌🏻
Mozzarella Sticks Air Fryer Method FAQs
For the best crunch, and to get as close as possible to fried mozzarella sticks, it is important to bread the cheese sticks twice.
When breading the cheese sticks, press the breading firmly into the sticks. Freezing the cheese sticks after breading also helps the breading to stay on.
Freezing your mozzarella sticks allows the cheese to stay solid until the breading becomes crispy enough to hold the cheese inside. If you skip the freezing steps your cheese will ooze out.
It is important to make sure that the sticks are coated completed with both the egg and the breading mixture. The coating acts as a seal. If there are spots left uncoated then the cheese will seep out. A little cheese may still escape, but coating the cheese stick well will keep most of the cheese inside.
To reheat your mozzarella cheese sticks, place them in the air fryer at 390°F for 3 minutes.
The mozzarella sticks can be frozen uncooked for up to 3 months. Once they are frozen in a single layer, place them in a freezer safe container. There is no need to thaw them before cooking. Place frozen mozzarella sticks in air fryer and follow the instructions below in the recipe card, beginning with step 10.
Bought frozen mozzarella sticks at the store? Those need to air fry for the same time and at the same temperature. So about 5 to 8 minutes at 390°F.
How To Store
In the freezer. Uncooked mozzarella sticks can be frozen for up to 3 months. Freeze in a single layer for 30 minutes and then transfer to a freezer safe container such as a ziploc bag.
In the fridge. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 3 days and then reheated in the air fryer.
More Easy Appetizers
- Air Fryer Shrimp
- Stuffed Mushrooms
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- Pico de Gallo
- Turkey Cranberry Pinwheels
- Air Fryer Pickles
- Lemon Pepper Wings – Baked or Air Fried
How To Make Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- air fryer
- 8 mozzarella cheese sticks
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Olive oil spray
- In a shallow bowl or pie plate, mix the flour, salt, and pepper, and set aside.⅓ cup all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In a separate shallow dish, whisk the egg whites until they are smooth.2 eggs
- Prepare a third shallow bowl or pie plate with the panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder, oregano and paprika, mixing until combined.1 cup panko bread crumbs, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon dried oregano, ½ teaspoon paprika
- Cut each mozzarella stick in half.8 mozzarella cheese sticks
- Working one at a time, place a mozzarella stick into the flour and turn to coat well.
- Dust off any excess flour, then dip into the egg mixture, coating the cheese stick completely. Allow excess egg mixture to drip off.
- Place the cheese stick in the panko breading and press the crumbs into the cheese.
- Line the coated cheese sticks onto a parchment lined tray and place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. Refrigerate the egg mixture between uses.
- Remove from freezer and dip each stick back into the egg mixture, then again in the panko crumbs. Return to the freezer for an additional 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat your air fryer to 390°F (199°C) for 5 minutes.
- Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Place the mozzarella sticks into the bottom of the basket in a single layer, with space between each stick. You will need to work in batches.Olive oil spray
- Spray the mozzarella sticks lightly with olive oil spray. Cook in the air fryer for 5-8 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and the breading is crispy.Olive oil spray