This Chocolate Zucchini Cake is bound to be a new favorite for chocolate lovers! Fabulously moist, decadently rich, and impossible to resist! The perfect way to enjoy the summer bounty!
I’ve been picking one to two gorgeous, deep green zucchinis each and every day for a couple weeks now and, of course, sharing them with friends and family! I have so many amazing zucchini recipes that I love to make all summer long like this Carrot Apple Zucchini Bread, Lemon Zucchini Cake, and Baked Parmesan Zucchini Fries. If you’re a chocolate lover like me though, this Chocolate Zucchini Cake is the recipe for you.
The rich, chocolate flavor comes from the cocoa powder and mini chocolate chips inside the cake and an incredibly delicious chocolate glaze that is drizzled on top. I’d love to call this bread and pretend like it’s “healthier” but I think once a “bread” has a dripping, decadent, chocolate glaze poured on it … well, why pretend?
I did cut back on a lot of the fat. There is only a couple of tablespoons of butter in the actual cake and no oil. Applesauce to the rescue! Between the applesauce and the zucchini, this cake is insanely moist and stays so for daysssss.
To really enhance the chocolate flavor, I’ve added a bunch of mini chocolate chips to the mix which creates little pockets of rich chocolate flavor that just melt in your mouth with each bite. Delicious!
The glaze is super simple and while not entirely necessary on this cake, looks gorgeous and adds a bit of sweetness.
I just love how simple this cake is – super easy to prepare when you don’t have a lot of time. I’m a sucker for a good bundt pan and I really love how this glaze looks on a bundt cake.
Here! I even saved a slice for you!
- 2 to 3 cups grated zucchini
- 7 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1½ cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ c wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp light corn syrup
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour your bundt pan. Set aside. (Instead of flour, use cocoa powder if you have it!)
- Place grated zucchini in a large kitchen towel. Bring up the four corners and twist. Squeeze the towel to extract all the liquid from the zucchini, or as much as you can. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, eggs, applesauce, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the two cups of flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cocoa powder.
- Remove two tablespoons of the flour mixture and toss chocolate chips with it. This will keep the chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom of the cake while baking.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter and stir just until all ingredients are combined.
- Add the zucchini and chocolate chips and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake the cake for 60 to 70 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool for ten minutes before inverting onto a plate.
- Combine butter, chocolate chips, and corn syrup in a microwaveable dish. I use my Pyrex glass measuring cup because it makes it easy to drizzle the glaze over the cake.
- Heat in the microwave in 30 seconds intervals at 50% power, stirring in between, until nicely melted.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Drizzle over the top of the cooled cake. Enjoy!
More zucchini recipes:
For all breakfast recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.