This easy Olive Dip recipe is a classic appetizer that is perfect for any occasion! Indulge in the rich and creamy flavor made with a blend of green olives, cream cheese and mozzarella cheese. Serve it with crackers, chips, or veggies for a delicious and easy appetizer that everyone will love!
Olive Dip Recipe
Olive lovers are going to go crazy for this easy, creamy, delicious Olive Dip! It’s a great make-ahead appetizer that is perfect for game day, holidays, BBQs and potlucks. We like to serve it with a variety of crackers, chips and some fresh veggies. Whether you’re hosting a party, a family gathering, or simply looking for a tasty snack, this recipe is sure to be a hit!
With a rich and creamy flavor that combines green olives, cream cheese, and mozzarella, it’s a crowd-pleaser that’s easy to make and even easier to enjoy. It’s a perfect balance of savory and tangy that everyone will love.
Leftover olive dip makes a great sandwich spread too!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This recipe is perfect for those who love the flavor of olives, but want something a little more interesting than just eating them straight from the jar.
- Simple to make. One of the best things about this recipe is its simplicity. With just a few basic ingredients, you can have a delicious and satisfying appetizer that’s ready in no time. But don’t let its simplicity fool you, the combination of ingredients in this recipe creates a flavorful and delicious dip that is sure to be a hit with everyone who tries it.
- Crowd favorite. This easy Olive Dip recipe is a classic party favorite. Its creamy texture and rich flavor make it the perfect dip for crackers, chips, or veggies.
- Can be made in advance. Not only is this dip incredibly easy to make, it can be prepared in advance, giving you more time to spend with your guests and get ready the day of the party.
This easy dip tops the list when it comes to best loved party food! Here are some more of our favorite appetizers to serve at parties:
- Veggie Crescent Bites
- Spicy Ranch Pretzels
- Stuffed Mushrooms
- Jalapeño Popper Bites
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Teriyaki Bites
- Spicy Ranch Crackers
Only a few simple ingredients are required for this easy Olive Dip recipe! As always, you can find the full printable recipe with complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post. Let’s take a look at what you’ll need:
- green olives – You want the green olives that are stuffed with pimento. These are the base of the recipe and provide the olive flavor. Be sure to use drained olives, as the excess brine can make the dip too salty.
- cream cheese – The full fat, block cream cheese will give this dip it’s creamy texture.
- mayonnaise – Adds creaminess as well as a rich and creamy texture to the dip.
- mozzarella – You could use another flavor of cheese if you prefer. Monterey Jack would be delicious!
- sour cream – Yet another ingredients that adds to the creaminess of the dip. It also adds a tangy flavor.
- red wine vinegar – It adds a tangy and acidic flavor that balances out the richness of the other ingredients.
- seasonings – Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper add depth of flavor to the dip.
How To Make Olive Dip
- Place the green olives, cream cheese, mayonnaise, mozzarella, sour cream, red wine vinegar, onion powder, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper and smoked paprika into the bowl of a food processor.
- Process until the desired smoothness is achieved, scraping down the sides as needed. The dip can be perfectly smooth or a little chunkier, depending on your preference. Pulse to get just the right consistency.
- Transfer the olive dip to a serving bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Garnish with whole or sliced olives, green onions or chopped parsley.
- Serve with crackers, chips, or fresh veggies. Optional
This Olive Dip can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I do not recommend freezing.
Variations To Try
This recipe is super versatile and there are so many ways you can customize it. Let’s take a quick look at some tasty variations on this recipe:
- For a little extra kick, add a tablespoon of your favorite hot sauce or a teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
- For a Mediterranean twist, swap out the green olives for black olives and add some chopped sun-dried tomatoes. You could also add some chopped fresh herbs like parsley or dill and use feta cheese.
- Add some chopped parsley or green onions for a pop of color and freshness.
- Use fresh garlic instead of dried garlic, about one to two cloves would be perfect. Give them a rough chop before adding to the food processor.
Olive Dip FAQs
Yes, you can use other types of olives in this recipe such as black olives or kalamata olives. Just keep in mind that the flavor of the dip will be slightly different depending on the type of olives you use.
Yes, you can make this recipe in advance and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
This dip is delicious with crackers, crostini, and fresh veggies (carrots, cucumber, celery, etc.).
Trish’s Tips and Tricks
- Be sure to drain the olives to avoid making the dip too salty and too thin. You can use sliced or whole olives in this recipe. Some food processors have a harder time with the whole olives so you may want to chop in half before adding to the processor bowl.
- Don’t skip the chilling time! The flavors need a chance to meld together before serving.
- To make the dip extra creamy, you can add more cream cheese or sour cream.
- For a smoother texture, you can blend the ingredients in a food processor until the desired consistency is achieved.
- If the dip is too thick, you can add a little more mayonnaise or sour cream to thin it out.
- Test the flavor of the dip before adding salt. The olives are sometimes are so salty you won’t want to add any extra.
More Delicious Savory Dips To Try
How To Make Olive Dip
- 10 ounces green olives with pimento 1 jar, drained (Can use sliced or whole olives)
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt to taste, the dip may not need any salt if the olives are extra salty
- whole or sliced olives
- green onions
- Place the olives, cream cheese, mayonnaise, mozzarella, sour cream, red wine vinegar, Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper and smoked paprika into a food processor.
- Process until the desired smoothness is achieved, scraping down the sides as needed. Taste test the dip and add the salt if needed. The dip can be perfectly smooth or a little chunkier, depending on your preference.
- Transfer the olive dip to a serving bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve with crackers, chips, or fresh veggies. Optional garnish with whole or sliced olives, green onions, and parsley.