This easy Cheesy Green Chile Rice Casserole recipe has just FOUR ingredients and is sure to be your new favorite side dish! Easy to make, delicious and inexpensive too! Add in some rotisserie chicken and dinner is done! More of our favorite side dishes include these Twice Baked Potatoes, Cranberry Sauce, and Twice Baked Casserole – all amazing!
Green Chile Rice Casserole
More often than not I struggle with coming up with a tasty side dish for dinner. Sure, a lot of our meals are “all in one” like our favorite casseroles, but lots of times we’re looking for an easy side dish to complete our meal.
This easy green chile casserole has been a family favorite for years. It’s absolutely delicious and hits the creamy and cheesy elements that we are all so fond of.
Make It A Meal
I could make this casserole a meal as it is but to make it more hearty, add a layer of cooked, diced chicken to the dish. Any leftover chicken will work but we especially love rotisserie chicken.
What To Serve With Green Chile Rice Casserole
It definitely has a bit of a Mexican flair with the addition of the fire roasted green chiles and goes great with recipes like enchiladas and tacos but we most often serve it with these favorites:
- Glazed Honey Balsamic Chicken
- Citrus Herb Roast Turkey Breast
- Crockpot Chili
- Creamy Mustard Baked Chicken Thighs
- 20 Minute Skillet Monterey Chicken
You really can’t go wrong! Depending on what we’re serving this casserole with, I’ll garnish with a little chopped cilantro or parsley for a nice pop of color.
Let’s take a quick glance at what you’ll need for this recipe:
- sour cream
- fire roasted green chiles
- cooked rice
- shredded Pepper Jack cheese and I like to sometimes add a sprinkle of cheddar cheese on the top for a bit of color
If I have some on hand, I like to garnish the rice dish with some chopped cilantro, parsley or even some sliced jalapenos.
Is This Dish Spicy? The green chiles really do not have any spice to them, in my opinion, but, depending on the brand of Pepper Jack cheese that you use, there can be a bit of heat from that. If you are really worried about the spice level, feel free to substitute in Monterey Jack cheese in it’s place.
Can This Be Made Ahead of Time? This dish can be made in advance and reheated or, better yet, just assembled ahead of time and baked when ready. Be sure to let the casserole dish sit out for 30 minutes or so before placing in the oven.
How Do I Store Leftovers? Let the rice cool completely and then transfer to an airtight container. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The rice can also be frozen for up to 2 months. Let thaw overnight in the fridge.
More Favorite Side Dish Recipes
- The BEST Pea Salad
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Loaded Scalloped Potatoes
- Easy Creamed Corn (Two Ways!)
- Baked Sweet Potatoes
How To Make Cheesy Green Chile Rice Casserole
Cheesy Green Chile Rice Casserole
- 2 cups sour cream
- 4 oz diced fire roasted green chiles
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 8 oz Pepper Jack cheese shredded
- 2 oz cheddar cheese shredded
- garnish with cilantro, parsley or jalapenos optional
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly spray an 8-in square casserole dish with cooking spray,
- Combine sour cream and diced green chiles in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Spoon 1 cup of rice into the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Spread one-third of the sour cream mixture on top of the rice.
- Top with one-third of the shredded pepper jack cheese.
- Repeat layers two more times.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.