These easy Roasted Potatoes are perfectly crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside! This roasted potatoes recipe is made with herbs and spices you have in your pantry. A quick and easy side dish that will become part of your regular rotation. Fantastically easy to make, this family favorite side dish is incredibly versatile and a welcome addition to any meal!
This easy roasted potatoes recipe is one that every home cook should have in their repertoire. It’s simple. It’s versatile. And it’s undeniably delicious. It’s amazing what the simple combination of potatoes, olive oil and some herbs can become when roasted together.
These really are the best roast potatoes! Fantastically easy to make, this family favorite side dish is a welcome addition to any meal!
What To Serve With Oven Roasted Potatoes
This versatile side dish is a family favorite because it goes so well with so many of our favorite dinners. Here are some of the recipes that we frequently enjoy alongside this crispy roasted potatoes recipe:
- Perfectly prepared steak using our favorite Steak Marinade or Steak Seasoning
- The BEST Homemade Baked Mac and Cheese
- Glazed Honey Balsamic Chicken
- The ULTIMATE Crockpot Chili
- Baked Salmon with Honey Dijon Glaze
- small red potatoes or Yukon Gold
- olive oil – I used extra virgin
- garlic powder
- parsley, chopped finely (see notes below for using dried herbs)
- thyme, chopped finely (see notes below for using dried herbs)
- rosemary, chopped finely (see notes below for using dried herbs)
- kosher salt or sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
How To Roast Potatoes
- Preheat oven. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray or line with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
- Clean and cut potatoes in half or quarters depending on the size.
- Optional: Add potatoes to bowl of water for 30 to 60 minutes to get rid of most of the starch.
- Drain and pat potatoes dry.
- Spread the potatoes evenly on a large baking sheet in a single layer.
- Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat.
- Combine garlic powder, herbs, salt and pepper in a small bowl and sprinkle over the top of potatoes. Toss with your fingers or tongs to coat evenly.
- Next, bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender, flipping once during roasting.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
How Long to Roast Potatoes
A few factors come into play when determining how long to roast potatoes.
- the size of the pieces of potato and
- the temperature you are roasting the potatoes at in the oven
The range is between 25 and 55 minutes for potatoes that are cut into approximately 1/2 to 1 inch cubes. Larger cubes take more time while smaller cubes will take less time.
Wondering what the best temperature is for roasting potatoes? I’m frequently cooking our main dish along with these roasted red potatoes so I’ve found that I can be flexible with the oven temperature. My go to temperature is 425°F for a nice crispy roasted potatoes but I will go as high as 450°F (cut time to about 25 minutes) and as low as 350°F (increase time to about 55 minutes).
Crispy Roasted Potatoes Tips
For a nice crispy exterior, follow these steps:
- make sure to dry potatoes thoroughly
- evenly coat with olive oil
- give the potatoes plenty of space on the baking sheet
Can I use dried herbs instead of fresh herbs? Yes you sure can and I frequently do. To substitute dried herbs for the fresh herbs, just cut the quantity in half.
Can these oven roasted potatoes be made ahead of time? Yes they can but you would need to reheat in the oven or in a skillet to ensure crispiness.
Do I have to use herbs? No you do not. In fact, we frequently make these roasted red potatoes with just olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and then add a little onion powder and some smoked paprika for additional flavor. Delicious!
What types of potatoes should I use? I made roasted red potatoes this time but we frequently use Yukon Gold potatoes. You can use any potatoes we have on hand. I like to use small potatoes such as baby new potatoes, Yukon Golds and red potatoes, but honestly, there is no wrong potato here.
More Potato Side Dishes
- Loaded Scalloped Potatoes
- The BEST Homemade Mashed Potatoes
- Baked Sweet Potato (How To Bake Sweet Potatoes)
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Twice Baked Potatoes
How To Make Oven Roasted Potatoes
Oven Roasted Potatoes
- 2 pounds small potatoes red, yellow, or white
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped finely OR 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme chopped finely OR 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped finely OR 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Clean and cut potatoes in half or quartered, depending on size. You want the potatoes to be close to 1/2 inch cubes as possible.
- Optional: Add potatoes to bowl of cold water and soak for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper or lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pat potatoes dry with a paper towel and spread evenly on prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil and toss to coat using tongs or your hands.
- Combine garlic powder, herbs, salt and pepper in a small bowl and sprinkle over the top of potatoes. Toss with your fingers or tongs to coat evenly. Arrange the potatoes so they are in a single layer and nicely space.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender, flipping once during roasting. Serve immediately and enjoy!