It’s hard to resist these gorgeous Brown Sugar Meringue Coconut Cookie Bars. A sweet cookie crust piled with chocolate chips, coconut and pecans and topped with a magnificent brown sugar meringue. Just stunning!
I surprised my dad with these bars on Father’s Day. Well, I don’t know about “surprised” as he is always expecting some yummy coconut treat from me on his special day 🙂
My dad is obsessed with coconut. Can’t get enough of the stuff, really. Fortunately for him, he has two daughters that live within driving distance that enjoy baking up treats for him. He’ll take it anyway he can get it – ice cream, magic bars, pie, smoothies – he’s open to it all.
Whether it’s my Nana’s to-die-for carrot cake or his favorite coconut cream pie I made for his birthday, Father’s Day simply cannot go by with some sort of coconut confection. Last year for Father’s Day we gorged on this insane Pina Colada Fudge.
I need to make that again ASAP.
Since we had a pretty adventurous meal planned for lunch, I knew these cookie bars would be the perfect treat for later. We made up my mom’s BBQ Beef Ribs with her homemade bbq sauce. Which, I totally need to share. Every time I make it for guests I am told I need to bottle and sell the stuff.
I’ve been known to eat it by the spoonful.
We had fresh corn that I picked up straight from the grower on Sunday morning, my dad’s favorite jello salad (recipe also coming soon!), spinach dip (we would be in BIG trouble if we failed to bring that…), watermelon, oh and the list goes on!
We were all stuffed after lunch. Like, it was hard to move. So we went outside to work up an appetite. Set a couple fence posts, did some raking, pulled out cedar seedlings (those things are a total nuisance in the mountains), and just had a generally great time helping out my dad.
I love it when manual labor is fun 🙂
We were finally ready for these bars and they did not disappoint. The brown sugar meringue topping is something seriously special and a nice change of pace from standard cookie bars.
The chocolate, coconut, and pecans are sandwiched between a delicious cookie crust and the gorgeous meringue topping for a truly beautiful presentation that I know you’re going to love.
These bars are definitely worthy of a special occasion, especially when you’ve got coconut lovers around 🙂 Enjoy!
Brown Sugar Meringue Coconut Cookie Bars
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans optional
Brown Sugar Meringue
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Mix melted butter and sugars together in a bowl.
- Stir in egg yolks and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, corn starch, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into butter mixture just until combined.
- Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Press cookie dough into bottom of dish.
- Sprinkle on chocolate chips, coconut, and pecans.
- Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Beat in one cup of brown sugar, adding one tablespoon at a time.
- Continue beating until stiff and glossy.
- Spread meringue over the top of the chocolate, chips, coconut, and pecans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until set. (Do not overbake.)
- Cool completely before cutting.
- Store in airtight container.
More coconut favorites:
Connect with me!
Linking up at some of these parties.