This classic Banana Split recipe is the ULTIMATE summer dessert! Made with three different types of ice cream, hot fudge and caramel sauces, fresh whipped cream, maraschino cherries and nuts! Takes just minutes to make and they are so fun to eat!
This impressive Banana Split is the quintessential ice cream dessert that will have everyone clamoring for their own! When we make banana splits at home, the kids go nuts. Like, CRAAAZEE. This may just be their all time favorite summer treat and they are so easy to make!
They love being able to build their own banana split sundae, topping it with their favorite toppings and devouring it in the sunshine.
Ever get that craving for a delicious Banana Split? Make it from home with this easy and yummy recipe.
What Is A Banana Split?
A classic ice cream dessert that is extra popular during the summer months. Banana splits get their name because the a whole banana is split or cut down the middle and that is the first layer of this dessert.
Banana splits are typically made with three flavors of ice cream: vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate. They are then topped with hot fudge or chocolate sauce, whipped cream, maraschino cherries and crushed nuts.
More Banana Recipes
- Simply Perfect Banana Bread Recipe
- Banana Split Dessert
- The BEST Banana Pudding
- Easy Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- No Bake Banana Cream Pudding Cheesecake
Banana Split Ingredients
This banana split recipe is so easy to make! So easy that we like to make some of the ingredients at home. You can find the full printable recipe in the recipe card at the end of this post. Let’s take a quick look at what you’ll need:
- bananas – the star of the show! Look for bright yellow bananas without any bruising. You want the bananas nice and firm, not overripe or they will just fall apart.
- ice cream – you’ll need one scoop of vanilla ice cream, strawberry and chocolate. Feel free to switch out for your favorite flavors. I used a natural strawberry ice cream so it was a very pale pink color but you can use a more traditional strawberry ice cream if you want that bright pop of pink.
- toppings – we like an assortment of toppings and typically use our homemade caramel sauce, strawberry sauce and hot fudge. Store bought versions will make this much simpler and easier to prepare if you prefer (but not as delicious!). Chocolate sauce, peanut butter sauce, and butterscotch are also amazing.
- whipped cream – fresh, homemade whipped cream is so easy to make and it’s what I recommend for this recipe but you can always get a can at the store.
- maraschino cherries – the cherry on top (literally!) of this banana split recipe. It’s those bright red cherries that really make this simple dessert shine. If you don’t like cherries, try one of my other topping suggestions below, like raspberries or strawberries.
- nuts – the last ingredient to be added. Peanuts, walnuts, pecans – even pistachios work. Chop them up as small as you like and sprinkle on top.
How To Make A Banana Split
This dessert is a cinch to assemble but I’m giving you my best tips for getting that classic look:
- Banana. Peel the banana and slice in half lengthwise. Place a slice of banana on either side of a medium sized shallow bowl.
- Ice cream. Place one scoop each of vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate ice cream, in a row down the center of the bowl.
- Sauces. Drizzle the hot fudge, caramel sauce, and strawberry over the entire dish.
- Whipped Cream. Top each scoop of ice cream with a large dollop of whipped cream or you can pipe it on if you prefer (this is what I do!)
- Cherries and Nuts. Place a maraschino cherry on top of each scoop of whipped cream and sprinkle crushed nuts over the top of the banana split.
- Serve. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Banana Split Toppings
I’m sharing a classic banana split recipe with you today but the best part about this recipe is how easy it is to customize! Here are some delicious toppings to consider:
- fresh fruit – diced strawberries, peaches, whole raspberries or blueberries, sliced bananas
- toppings – butterscotch, caramel, peanut butter, chocolate, hot fudge
- mini marshmallows
- mini chocolate chips
- candies – chopped Reese’s peanut butter cups, M&Ms, Reese’s Pieces, brownie crumbles, cookie crumbles, Oreos, toffee bits
- whipped cream
- maraschino cherries
- nuts – crushed pecans, walnuts, peanuts, pistachios. Kick it up a notch by making candied pecans!
Use your imagination! If you like it with ice cream, it belongs on this Banana Split recipe!
Variations To Try
When we’re doing banana splits for a party, I like to give me guests lots of options. Here are some of the ways we mix it up:
banana split ice cream – there is no wrong way to build a banana split. Use any ice cream flavor you like: Rocky Road, Cookie Dough, Mint Chocolate Chip, Sea Salt Caramel, Cherry – you get the idea.
banana split sundae – you can serve this as a sundae instead. Simply cut up the banana into smaller pieces and serve in small bowls or trifle dishes.
toppings – there are hundreds of different ways to top a banana split. Check out my toppings ideas above for more ideas.
Can I make ahead of time? No. Banana Splits must be eaten right away. It is an unwritten law. These are best when eaten fresh so only make as much as you will eat. What you can do is prepare the caramel sauce, hot fudge, and strawberry sauce days in advance so these are quick and easy to assemble when you’re ready to enjoy.
What else can I add to my Banana Split? I love adding extra ingredients to my ice cream treats. My favorite toppings are already included in this recipe, but I also enjoy fresh fruit, strawberry sauce, mini chocolate chips, coconut flakes, and cookie or brownie bits. Once you have a banana and ice cream there are no limits to how you can personalize this banana split!
More Ice Cream Desserts
- No Churn Vanilla Ice Cream
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Cake
- Brookie Ice Cream Sandwich
- Easy Ice Cream Cake
- Monster Cookie Dough Ice Cream
How To Make A Banana Split
Classic Banana Split
- Peel the banana and slice in half lengthwise. Place a slice of banana on either side of a medium sized shallow bowl.1 banana
- Place one scoop each of vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate ice cream, in a row down the center of the bowl. They should be placed in between the banana slices.¼ vanilla ice cream, ¼ chocolate ice cream, ¼ strawberry ice cream
- Drizzle the hot fudge, caramel sauce, and strawberry over the entire dish. I recommend going side to side from one end of the bananas to the other to get your traditional banana split appearance.2 tablespoons hot fudge sauce, 2 tablespoons caramel sauce, 2 tablespoons strawberry sauce
- Top each scoop of ice cream with a large dollop of whipped cream or you can pipe it on if you prefer.½ cup whipped cream
- Place a maraschino cherry on top of each scoop of whipped cream and sprinkle crushed nuts over the top of the banana split.3 maraschino cherries, 1 tablespoon crushed nuts
- Serve immediately.