Vanilla Ice Cream is made with just three ingredients and a few simple steps. This delicious no churn vanilla ice cream recipe is so quick and easy to make. Top with hot fudge, fresh fruit, whipped cream or sprinkles for an easy to make dessert that no one can resist.
Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
Vanilla bean ice cream is a light, sweet indulgence that I don’t think anyone can pass up on. It’s one of those go-to desserts that you know will always please everyone at the table!
With this recipe, you can also brag that it’s entirely homemade. The best part? It’s a no churn ice cream recipe, which makes it infinitely easier to make than other ice cream recipes. However, this vanilla bean ice cream is so delicious, no one will be able to tell that you took a shortcut.
Did you know that vanilla ice cream has been around since the 1780s when Thomas Jefferson created it? It’s no wonder that the recipe has become such an American staple. It’s a classic, timeless treat that will be popular for more years to come!
This is the perfect ice cream to sandwich between two cookies! Try it with my favorite Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies for a super tasty treat!
The Best Ice Cream Toppings
Let’s be honest – as much as we all enjoy a big bowl of ice cream all on its own, it’s even better when it’s all dressed up! Here are some of the tastiest toppings for this homemade vanilla ice cream:
- Caramel Sauce
- Buttermilk Bourbon Caramel Sauce
- Strawberry Sauce
- Whipped Cream
- Fresh Berries
- Hot Fudge
- Crushed Cookies and Candies
Ice Cream Ingredients
All you need is THREE ingredients to make this homemade ice cream! It doesn’t get much easier or inexpensive than that. You can find the amounts in the printable recipe at the bottom of this post. Let’s take a quick look at what you’ll need:
- heavy whipping cream – This is the key ingredient to having the most rich, creamy ice cream!
- sweetened condensed milk – Sweetened condensed milk provides not only the perfect amount of sweetness, but also a wonderful silky texture when combined with the heavy whipping cream.
- vanilla bean paste – If you can’t get your hands on any vanilla bean paste, it can be substituted for 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract or the caviar from 2 vanilla beans.
- sea salt – this ingredient is optional but I love that it brings out the vanilla flavor in this ice cream.
Vanilla bean paste or the caviar from 2 vanilla beans will give this ice cream recipe the most amazing vanilla flavor!
How To Make No Churn Ice Cream
Since you’re skipping the churning, there’s no need to stress over this easy recipe! This vanilla bean ice cream can be whipped up in just a few simple steps.
- In a large cold mixing bowl, whisk the heavy cream – and salt if using – with a stand mixer or heavy duty hand mixer until stiff peaks form. This should only take about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next, fold in the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract) until you have a smooth consistency.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream container like this one or this one, or a loaf pan, and cover it tightly with plastic wrap.
- Freeze the mixture for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight. The longer the ice cream has to freeze, the firmer it gets.
- When the ice cream has fully hardened, serve it with the toppings of your choice.
Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream FAQs
You can store this ice cream in the freezer for at least 1 month when stored properly. Just be sure to keep it in an airtight container! I like to keep mine in the same container I originally placed it in, tightly wrapped with plastic.
If you have a plastic ice cream container, use that in place of the loaf pan! It will result in a smoother, creamer ice cream plus it seals nice and tight.
Other than that, a large plastic container will work, or anything else that has the similar size and depth of a loaf pan.
I’ve been asked this question so many times and often wondered it myself. Can dogs have vanilla ice cream? The answer is, it depends. Some dogs are lactose intolerant and since the base of this ice cream recipe is cream, there is a lot of lactose. There is also a lot of sugar in vanilla ice cream which isn’t good for your pup. If you wanted to give your dog a small taste – like a lick – every once in a while, that’s mostly fine. Vanilla ice cream, while technically safe in ingredients, shouldn’t really be a dog treat. Make them these Homemade Dog Treats instead!
No Churn Ice Cream Variations To Try
I love this recipe just the way it is! It’s classic and delicious. However, there are some fun, tasty ways to shake it up a bit!
- Add some fresh berries to the mix! Raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries… The list goes on and on! Any of these berries can be tossed into the creamy mixture before it freezes for a fresh, summery twist.
- If you want to add a swirl, consider using some hot fudge! Simply drizzle the room temperature fudge on top of the ice cream and swirl it in with a knife before you freeze it.
- If it’s close to the holidays, there are a number of ways to make this more festive! Near Christmas, consider adding some crushed peppermint and red food color. Thanksgiving? Toss in a few teaspoons of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice to the ice cream!
- If you’re celebrating a birthday party, it’s always fun to serve this alongside birthday cake. Toss in some rainbow sprinkles to really celebrate!
Desserts To Enjoy With Ice Cream
Serve a scoop of this easy vanilla ice cream with these dessert favorites:
- Raspberry Peach Crumble
- Easy Cherry Almond Crisp
- Blueberry Pie Oatmeal Crumble Bars
- Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- Deep Dish Dutch Apple Pie
- Chocolate Pound Cake
How To Make Vanilla Ice Cream
No Churn Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or the caviar from 2 vanilla beans or 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon sea salt optional
- caramel sauce, hot fudge, chopped nuts, sprinkles, etc.
- In a large, cold mixing bowl, whisk the heavy cream (and salt if using) with a stand mixer or hand mixer until stiff peaks form. This should only take about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next, fold in the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract) until you have a smooth consistency and the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Chill for at least 6 hours and preferably overnight. Serve with toppings of your choosing.