Welcome to your new favorite dessert. These Sweet Pumpkin Empanadas are better than any pumpkin pie you’ve ever had and are perfect for parties!
Today I’m excited to share this delicious recipe for sweet pumpkin empanadas that I know your whole family will love! Ever since I made these caramel apple empanadas, I’ve been wanting to make a pumpkin version. Cause, ya know, pumpkin all the things 🙂
Empanadas are really just little handheld pies – perfect for all occasions really. I was first introduced to empanadas by my mother-in-law many MANY years ago. I feel old thinking just how many years ago it was 🙂 Betty is from Peru and empanadas are a thang there. A really, really good thing that would make me marry my husband all over again, should the opportunity arise.
She makes empanadas for all our parties and celebrations and always makes them savory. They’re delicious and always the first thing to disappear. Her filling includes raisins, sausage, peas and then she always sprinkles a little sugar on the dough before baking. That’s my favorite part.
Now she uses a totally different dough but a refrigerates pie crust works in a pinch and does the job just as well in my opinion. The filling is going to expand so make sure to cut several slits in the top and poke some holes up in there so there is plenty of venting going on. If the empanadas do crack – don’t freak out. People seem drawn to the more rustic empanadas and I’m pretty sure it’s because they’ve deduced that there is more filling in those ones 🙂
Speaking of the filling – keep it to 2 teaspoons or less. I know that does not sound like a lot but trust me, it’s plenty. Any more and you’re going to have a mess. Trust me on this. I’m stubborn and wanted to put more in – three times – before I learned my lesson.
Once baked, you just need to let them cool for a few minutes before adding the glaze. The glaze is optional but it adds a bit of sweetness to these not-so-overly-sweet empanadas. The glaze is simple, fast, and pretty. Powdered sugar is whisked together with International Delight Pumpkin Spice creamer and then drizzled over the top of the empanadas. Wait just a few minutes for the glaze to set and then you’re golden.
I think I may have discovered the newest addition to our holiday lineup and I hope these empanadas make it into your family’s bellies this year.
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp pumpkin spice
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese, softened
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts - I used Pillsbury
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp water
- sanding sugar (optional)
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp International Delight Pumpkin Spice creamer
- Cook the pumpkin puree over medium heat for 8-10 minutes stirring frequently.
- Mix in the brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice and stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the mascarpone cheese until combined.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together egg and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Unroll pie crust on a lightly floured surface. Roll out just slightly.
- Cut out 7-8 rounds using a 4 inch cutter.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons of the pumpkin mixture onto the center of each round, leaving room around the edges to seal the empanada later.
- Brush edges of rounds with egg wash and use a fork to crimp the edges, keeping them sealed.
- Brush the tops of the empanadas with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Use a sharp knife to cut 2 to 3 slits in the top of the empanadas.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden brown and let cool slightly.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and creamer until smooth. Drizzle over the top of the cooled empanadas and let set up for several minutes.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Make sure to sign up to receive the International Delight newsletter for coupons, prizes, special offers, information, and more! And don’t forget to connect with them on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram!
Check out International Delight on their Take Back 10 site – savings, recipes and more!
How do you create delight? Check out International Delight’s new Delightful Moments site to play fun games, find recipes, and more!
More delicious pumpkin recipes you’ll love!
Connect with me!
This conversation is sponsored by International Delight. The opinions and text are all mine.