The BEST Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie recipe! This delicious skillet cookie is so easy to make and is ready to eat all ooey, gooey and warm straight from the oven! Top with a mountain of ice cream and my favorite caramel sauce for a delightfully decadent treat! More chocolate chip favorites: Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake Bars, Chocolate Chip Pancakes, and this Chocolate Chip No Bake Cheesecake!
Ever wish you could make ONE cookie to share? Tired of scooping, rolling, dropping, and baking in batches? Then you need this skillet cookie recipe!
What Is a Skillet Cookie?
If there is one dessert that my family can agree on, it would have to be chocolate chip cookies. They are without a doubt, everyone’s favorite cookie.
Skillet cookies are baked in a cast iron skillet. They are amazing for sharing and are meant to be enjoyed straight from the skillet, nice and warm!
We love to top ours with vanilla ice cream and maybe a little caramel sauce if we’re feeling daring. So good you guys!
Easiest Cookie You’ll Ever Make
This chocolate chip skillet cookie is a favorite in our home because it’s so easy. Here’s why we love them:
- you don’t need a mixer – the ingredients get mixed together in a single bowl with a silicone spatula or wooden spoon
- forget chilling – the dough gets transferred from the bowl to the skillet with no chilling in between – straight into the oven!
- no scooping needed – a skillet cookie is basically one giant cookie so there’s no scooping or rolling required
What’s In a Skillet Cookie
All the ingredients in this chocolate chip skillet cookie recipe are ones you would find in a typical cookie recipe:
- unsalted butter
- brown sugar dark or light
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour
- baking soda
- kosher salt
- chocolate chips
How To Make a Skillet Cookie
- Mix butter and sugars together. You do not need a mixer! Just use a wooden spoon or silicone spatula.
- Stir in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Add flour, baking soda, cornstarch and salt.
- Stir in chocolate chips and any other add-ins that you want (see my ideas below)
- Transfer cookie dough to a 10 inch cast iron skillet and bake until the edges are golden brown.
- Cool for a few minutes before cutting and serving with ice cream.
Variations To Try
This is our go-to standard skillet chocolate chip cookie but the sky is the limit when it comes to customizing this easy recipe. Here are some ideas:
- Add 1/2 cup M&Ms or any other favorite candy like Reese’s to the dough.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of your favorite chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, macadamia, etc.).
- Swap out the semi-sweet chocolate chips for peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, milk chocolate chips or any combination you like.
- Top with vanilla ice cream or any other flavor plus caramel sauce and whipped cream for a cookie sundae.
- Bake in a smaller (8 inch) skillet for a deep dish cookie experience (add 3 to 5 minutes to the cooking time) or bake in a larger skillet (12 inches) for a thinner, crispier skillet cookie (subtract 3 to 5 minutes from the cooking time).
When To Serve Cast Iron Skillet Cookies
Skillet cookies are amazing any day of the week but we love them especially for movie nights, Valentine’s Day, special school days like the first and last day of school, small gatherings like family birthday parties, and Tuesdays – especially Tuesdays.
This skillet chocolate chip cookie is so easy that your kids can make it – and will – after they see how easy it is! Don’t limit yourself to chocolate chips either. Once you’ve made this as written below, give it a try with other add-ins, it makes a big difference!
More Cookie Recipes To Try
- Butterscotch Shortbread Cookies
- Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Lemon Cookies
- Almond Joy Cookies
- Cranberry Almond Breakfast Cookies
How To Make a Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar dark or light
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar together until combined.
- Add in egg and vanilla extract and stir together until combined.
- Add flour, baking soda, cornstarch and salt. Stir just until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Transfer cookie dough to a 10 inch cast iron skillet and use an offset spatula to smooth the top to create an even layer of cookie dough.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips over the top of the cookie dough.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges are nice and golden brown. Cool for a few minutes before cutting and serving with ice cream.