Just in time for Cinco de Mayo! These Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles pack a powerful flavor punch! Cinnamon and cayenne combine for an explosion of flavor that’s hard to resist. This easy cookie recipe is the perfect dessert for your chocolate loving friends!
I am all about Mexican food and if there’s a way to incorporate chocolate into the mix…I’m in. I made these Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles last week to bring down to Chris’s parents house. I had totally dropped the ball on a making a chocolate cake for his Dad’s birthday a few weeks back.
I know. Awful.
What actually happened is I made chocolate cupcakes and set the timer just a few minutes early so I could check on them. When I checked, they still needed a good five minutes more….so I went and took a shower.
Yeah. Burnt chocolate cupcakes is never pretty so they stayed home and I went empty handed. Good news though – these Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles were a total hit and a new favorite for my family as well.
The great thing about this recipe is you don’t need to use Mexican chocolate – nope. The addition of cinnamon and cayenne gives a Mexican chocolate flavor to these chocolate snickerdoodles.
Now, you may be thinking, “Wow, just a quarter teaspoon of cayenne. Hmm, I really like a lot of heat, maybe I could add some more to the cinnamon-sugar mixture that the cookies get rolled in…”
STOP RIGHT THERE.
Someone else had this great idea and nearly burned her tongue off. I’m not going to name names, just take my word for it, it’s not a good idea.
The cayenne gives just a hint of heat, it’s not overpowering, but you definitely know it’s there. And really, that’s all you want in a cookie like this. The cookie itself has a deep chocolate flavor that is perfectly offset by the cinnamon and sugar coating. Delicious!
Like snickerdoodles? I have the BEST Snickerdoodle recipe right HERE!
Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bow, beat the butter and sugars together until nice and fluffy.
- Beat in cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, and cayenne pepper until well blended.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract.
- Stir in unsweetened cocoa and flour just until combined.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop out dough and use the palm of your hands to form into a ball. Roll the ball in the cinnamon-sugar mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet. Flatten slightly with your palm.
- Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cookies cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
More cookie favorites!
For all cookie recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.