These Ham and Cheese Mini Corn Muffins make a delicious and satisfying breakfast, a yummy afternoon snack, and are the perfect addition to school lunches!
So I just realized yesterday that we’ve got a whopping TEN days until school starts. Would it be super awful of me to say that I’m secretly looking forward to that? As much as I adore my boys, mama needs a break. STAT.
Reece and Bryce are having the hardest time deciding on backpacks this year. I’ve bought no less than 8…so far. Reece just informed me yesterday that his Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles backpack was a no-go and he really, REALLY needed a Guardians of the Galaxy backpack and it had to have Groot on it.
I get it though. It’s a statement piece and in a uniform school like ours, you have to take every chance you get to show a little personality. I’ll be online searching for a Guardians backpack later. Please, if you’ve seen one in a store, give me a heads up in the comments.
I’ve been preparing for school this past week, buying and making snacks, stocking our freezer with breakfast burritos, and generally getting a handle on the “school food” situation. Mini corn muffins were a must-make and this version is spectacular.
These Ham and Cheese Mini Corn Muffins kind of pull double or triple duty for me. Not only do they make a very delicious and satisfying breakfast, they are also great for lunch boxes, and after school snacks. Heck, these would make a great addition to any meal!
This batch makes two and half dozen making it perfect for enjoying some today and freezing a bunch for later. The recipe could be halved if you don’t want quite so many OR you could make them full-size muffins and this recipe will yield 12 of those.
I have always been a sucker for anything ham and cheese. Throw some chives or green onions in the mix and I’m sold.
Ham and Cheese Mini Corn Muffins
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut oil does not taste like coconut
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp chives 3 to 4 tbsp - chopped chives or green onions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together milk, eggs, and coconut oil in a small bowl,.
- Pour milk mixture into flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fold in diced ham, cheese, and chives.
- Spoon batter into muffin tin.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove and let cool in muffin tin for several minutes before gently twisting and removing.
These muffins are so incredibly tender and moist and just cheesy enough to keep things interesting. I love the fresh flavor the chives add to the mix and that pop of color is just perfect.
More school-morning breakfast ideas:
Connect with me!
Linking up at some of these parties.