Perfectly moist and bursting with fresh flavor, this cornbread really is the best Cheesy Mexican Cornbread!
This post brought to you by KRAFT Natural Shredded Cheese and Safeway. All opinions are 100% mine.
We’ve been grilling a lot lately. Like a ton. We just can’t seem to get enough and I have to say, I love the fact that there’s hardly any cleanup 😉 Last week I had some chicken that I was planning to barbecue and was trying to think of a nice addition to the meal.
I was considering making my brother’s zucchini casserole but then I remembered that our neighbors had brought us over a bunch of fresh corn from a local grower. Cornbread it is!
There’s nothing like sweet, fresh corn. I love it anyway I can get it during the summer and we are so fortunate to have lots of farms near us that grow the sweetest, juiciest corn ever. One of my favorite ways to enjoy corn in in cornbread.
This particular cornbread recipe is a variation on the cornbread my mother-in-law prepares for most family gatherings. I love the light, tender crunch that the fresh corn adds to the bread and the color and flavors from the pepper and chiles is just fantastic.
I like to saute up the onions, bell pepper, and corn for just a few minutes to really bring out their fresh flavors.
Unlike most cornbreads, this cornbread is incredibly moist and just full of flavor. My favorite part? The cheese. A full two cups of KRAFT Mexican Blend cheese goes into this cornbread making it extra cheesy and delicious. KRAFT Mexican Cheese is a staple in our house and I am just loving the new stand-up pouches that I found at Safeway.
I love the perfectly golden edges – those are the best part. See this piece on the top? That baby is all mine!
- If you like things spicy, swap pepper jack for the Mexican blend and/or jalapenos for the green chiles.
- Eliminate the sauteing and use jarred roasted red bell peppers and green onions instead.
- Corn not in season? Use frozen instead! Just thaw the kernels first.
Cheesy Mexican Cornbread
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 ears fresh corn corn removed from cobs (approximately 1 1/2 cups corn)
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 15 oz cream-style corn 1 can
- 4 oz chopped green chili peppers 1 can - drained
- 2 cups KRAFT Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium pan, saute fresh corn, bell pepper and onion in olive oil for 5-7 minutes until tender.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar. Add in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in cream-style corn, green chiles, Mexican cheese and bell pepper/onion/corn mixture.
- Add dry mixture to wet mixture and stir until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into center of the pan comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly before cutting and serving.
More cheesy favorites:
Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza Pinwheels
Philly Cheesesteak Potato Skins
Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteaks
Make sure to check your Safeway Store for the new KRAFT #StandUpCheese and sign up for Safeway Just For You while you’re there!
Connect with me!
Linking up at some of these parties.
E.Jo Keiser says
a big 10
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your recipes, Trish! Your take on food is right up my alley. I love to cook, & have done a lot of experimenting with things that people think are great. But now that I’m on YOUR site, I don’t think I’ll ever have to work that hard again…I’ll just follow your lead. Awesome! Thanks for all the wonderful recipes & ideas.
Kathleen R. says
These look great! I’ve never put cheese or peppers in my cornbread- sounds good!
Your food looks absolutely divine, I’ve never seen anything so delectable in my life.
Who are you? And where are you from? You certainly can replace a lot of those who have no knowledge of what good food tastes or should look like on Food Network; most on that network are a waste and do not deserve airtime, not one minute worth!
Renee@Two in the Kitchen says
I love anything with fresh corn in the summer and this cornbread looks like a great way to use it Trish!
Mary Frances says
I love the pop of color from the peppers!
Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness says
Oh my gosh Trish, I <3 this recipe! I didn't grow up eating cornbread (We don't eat it in Canada) but when I moved to the USA, I became OBSESSED. But, I've actually never made it at home…and I have been making ALL THE THINGS Mexican lately. This is my new favorite recipe ever. Pinned!
Matt Robinson says
I love the cheese and peppers in this, so great! Perfect for summer for sure.
Averie @ Averie Cooks says
Trish this looks awesome! I just made cornbread earlier this week (haven’t blogged about it, and nothing like yours). I love the texture from the corn and red peppers! Right up my alley!