These Cherry Filled Chocolate Sandwich Cookies are the perfect treat for the chocolate and cherry lovers in your life!
I am so excited to say that we FINALLY got some rain here yesterday!! For those of you who don’t know, California has been experiencing unusually high temps and sunny skies this winter. My cherry tree is budding right now. #notgood
This rain was very much needed and I’m hopeful we’ll get some more soon. A nice rainy day is definitely cause for a little celebration and I’m thinking these cherry filled chocolate sandwich cookies are just the way to go!
I mentioned last week that I’m kind of obsessed with maraschino cherries. It’s true. And scary as it is, I think that obsession has deepened with these cookies. The cookies are simply quite decadent on their own. Rich and oh-so chocolatey, these cookies are soft and tender. The perfect cookies to sandwich some cherry frosting in between.
This incredible cherry frosting filling is made with maraschino cherries and that sweet, sweet cherry juice from the jar. It’s like the nectar of the gods and it does amazing things to my favorite frosting recipe.
I may have found my children happily licking the bowl when I returned to the kitchen. I also may have just let them continue licking knowing that depriving them of such goodness would just be wrong. My boys love me.
I made the cookies themselves pretty small; baked, they are a little under 2 inches in diameter – the perfect size for this decadently sweet bite! Make sure to go easy on the cherry frosting when filling the sandwich cookies. It can be very tempting to just scoop a whole bunch on but then you’ll end up with a mess. Of course, this could be a good thing 😉
Cherry Filled Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
Cherry Frosting Filling
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries drained and chopped
- 3 tbsp maraschino cherry juice from jar
- 1 tsp almond or vanilla extract
- additional cherry juice and powdered sugar as needed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream sugars and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg, vanilla and water and beat until well blended.
- Gradually stir in dry ingredients.
- Fold in mini chocolate chips.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease.
- Spoon rounded teaspoons of cookie dough onto prepared cookie sheet and flatten slightly with your finger tips.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes or until they are set. Do not over bake.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a rack.
Cherry Frosting Filling
- Beat softened butter until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in one cup of powdered sugar slowly.
- Add in cherry juice and extract and continue beating until combined.
- Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar until desired consistency is achieved.
- Fold in chopped cherries and check for consistency again. If the cherries still had any juice on them you may need to stir in additional powdered sugar,
- Pair up like-sized cookies and spread on 1-2 teaspoons of cherry frosting on the bottom of one cookie. Top with remaining cookie. Repeat until all sandwich cookies have been built.
- Store in an airtight container.
More of our favorite cherry recipes:
Connect with me!
Linking up at some of these parties.