This Very Vanilla Cake is bursting with sweet vanilla flavor! Top with fresh fruit, sprinkles or white chocolate curls for a beautiful finish! Can be made dairy-free too!
I often feel like I post too many desserts and not enough savory recipes on my blog. Well fear not, the streak continues today with this Very Vanilla Cake inspired by Bryce’s unadulterated love of all things vanilla.
I personally think vanilla is way underrated. It’s all about chocolate these days. Chocolate cake, chocolate cookies, chocolate muffins… What about good old vanilla? Vanilla is an incredible flavor on it’s own but pairs well with almost everything. I used vanilla bean paste in this cake but if you can’t find it or simply don’t want to buy it, you can absolutely use vanilla extract instead. I find the vanilla bean paste offers such a punch of vanilla flavor and is so much cheaper than buying vanilla beans and scraping the pods myself.
The cake is pretty on it’s own but is so fun to dress up. Sprinkles, fresh fruit, white chocolate curls – all are outstanding ways to finish off this lovely cake.
This cake is pretty special because it can be made completely dairy free. I used butter in my cake but butter-flavored shortening works just as well. I used Almond BreezeUnsweetened Vanilla Almondmilk for even more vanilla flavor. You can’t have a Very Vanilla Cake without lots of vanilla flavor now can you?
You can of course use refrigerated or shelf-stable Almond Breeze but I always have a carton of the refrigerated unsweetened vanilla on hand. It’s great in smoothies!
It also happens to go perfectly with a big slice of this Very Vanilla Cake!
And because I always get asked, here is a link to the Mickey measuring spoons I used in the video: Disney Measuring Spoons 🙂
Very Vanilla Cake
Very Vanilla Cake
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature OR butter flavored shortening OR vegan butter
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract OR vanilla bean paste
- 5 egg whites room temperature
- 2 3/4 cup cake flour or 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Almondmilk
Very Vanilla Frosting
- 2 cups softened salted butter OR butter flavored shortening
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Almondmilk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease the sides and bottom of two 8-inch round cake pans. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Mix in vanilla extract (or vanilla bean paste) until combined.
- Add 3 egg whites and beat on medium speed until thoroughly combined, about 30 seconds.
- Add in remaining 2 egg whites and beat for another 30 seconds or until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the wet mixturel and mix until combined, scraping down sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add almondmilk and mix until combined.
- Add remaining flour mixture and mix until combined, scraping down sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Divide the batter evenly between pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or an until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pans for 7 to 8 minutes before removing from the pans and placing on a cooling rack. Let cool completely.
Very Vanilla Frosting
- Beat butter in a large bowl on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Gradually add 6 cups of powdered sugar, mixing until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract and milk and continuing mixing until smooth.
- Add remaining powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add additional almondmilk or powdered sugar to achieve your desired consistency.
- Place one cake on a serving plate and spread some frosting on top.
- Top with remaining cake.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake. Decorate as desired.
Let them eat cake!
For all cake recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.
Have a great day!
Disclosure: This recipe is sponsored by Almond Breeze. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Mom On Timeout possible!