This delicious Slow Cooker Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is an easy, comfort food dish that is perfect any day of the week. Loaded with eggs, sausage, cheese and tater tots, this simple breakfast casserole is served up straight from your slow cooker! We love to serve this with our favorite biscuit recipe or these yummy Lemon Blueberry Scones.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Anyone else struggle with coming up with new and exciting breakfast ideas each weekend? (Both hands raised right here!)
Here’s what I know to be fact: my kids are OBSESSED with tater tots. I swear I could put them on broccoli and they would think it was the best thing ever.
When I combine them with eggs, sausage, and cheese though? Magic you guys.
Casseroles are one of my go-to dinners. Tuna Casserole, Mac and Cheese, and of course the dinner version of Tater Tot Casserole all make a frequent appearance at our house.
But casseroles aren’t just for dinner my friends…
What Makes Casseroles So Good?
So many find casseroles to be irresisitble. Guilty as charged.
It’s that combination of readily available ingredients that, when combined, result in homey, comfort food that warms the soul. Gimme.
My favorite meal has always been breakfast so whenever I can make breakfast for dinner, I’m in. This tater tot breakfast casserole is one of those breakfast recipes that can pull double duty – breakfast or brinner (breakfast for dinner). And I love that.
What Kind of Cheese Works Best In This Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole?
I used a sharp cheddar cheese for this cheesy tater tot casserole but honestly, anything you have on hand will work. Colby, Monterey Jack, a combination of a bunch of leftover blocks of cheese – it’s an anything goes situation.
Try to avoid buying pre shredded cheese – it doesn’t melt quite so good.
I used mini tater tots for this recipe but you can absolutely use full size tater tots or even frozen shredded hash browns if you prefer. But then, it won’t be a tater tot casserole 🙂
What Size Crockpot or Slow Cooker Do I Need?
I used a 7 quart crockpot and it was less than half full. The reason I chose that size was so I could add more cheese at the end (due to the larger surface area) because melty cheese is everrrrrything, amiright?
That being said, DO NOT go buy a 7 quart slow cooker just for this recipe. A 5 or 6 quart would be perfection, you could even fit this in a 4 quart.
One thing I do recommend is rotating the insert about halfway through because there is usually a hotspot near the back of crock pots and it helps the eggs cook evenly. Again, not super necessary, just nice if you have the time.
What Kind of Breakfast Meat Can You Use?
Any and all is the answer. I made this breakfast tater tot casserole with sausage but truly, the sky is the limit here:
You just want to cook it first so you can drain off the grease. If you do go the bacon route, make sure to cook it until crispy because it will soften quite a bit while cooking.
You could even get a little wild and make a tater tot breakfast casserole with bacon and sausage. Yum!
I feel like slow cooker breakfast casseroles should be a weekly occurrence in our house. I love how the dish is ready for everyone all at the same time (not the case when I’m flipping pancakes, that’s for sure!)
I definitely see this easy tater tot casserole happening for breakfast or brunch during the busy holiday months!
More Breakfast Casseroles
- Baked Cherry Cheesecake French Toast Casserole
- Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- Triple Berry French Toast Casserole
- Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- Overnight Strawberry Cheesecake French Toast Casserole
How To Make Slow Cooker Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Slow Cooker Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- slow cooker
- 8 ounces breakfast sausage
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces diced pimiento drained
- ¼ teaspoon ground mustard
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese grated (can use sharp, mild, etc.)
- 28 ounces frozen mini tater tots full sized can be used as well
- ¼ cup sliced green onion or chives
- Spray a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker with non stick cooking spray.
- Crumble and brown breakfast sausage in a medium skillet until cooked through.
- Whisk eggs in a medium bowl and add them to the slow cooker.
- Add heavy cream, pimientos, ground mustard, onion, and half of cheese to slow cooker. Whisk to combine.
- Add frozen tater tots and browned sausage to slow cooker. Stir to combine and evenly coat.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, rotating insert halfway through. Check to make sure eggs are set.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top, cover with lid until cheese has melted.
- Sprinkle with sliced green onions or chives.
Leave a Reply