The ooey gooey centers of these Rolo Stuffed Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies will satisfy your deepest chocolate cravings! Hot from the oven, these easy cookies are impossible to resist!
If you knew me well, you’d know that I love a good short cut. Anything that makes my life easier is fair game in my book. Now, I do have my standards. A short cut is all well and good but if it leads to a sub-par result…well, then, no thank you.
I have been making cake mix cookies for a LONG time. Why? Simple. These cookies are fast, versatile, delicious, and gobbled up by whomever happens to be the lucky recipient. Sometimes it’s friends. Sometimes it’s family. And sometimes they disappear before anyone else knows I’ve made them…
When the Christmas candy went on sale after the holidays were over, I stocked up. Big time. Rolos were on my list because adding chocolate and caramel to a recipe is ALWAYS a good idea…am I right?
They happen to be the perfect thing to stuff inside these deliciously soft cake mix cookies. The chocolate and caramel melt just so resulting in an ooey-gooey center that is impossible to resist.
I do HIGHLY recommend enjoying these cookies straight out of the oven. The next day they’re good but right from the oven they are amazing.
As a chocolate lover, these cookies are all that I could ask for…and more. Deep chocolate flavor in the easiest of recipes is a win in my book. You’ll notice I added mini chocolate chips to the dough as well as to the top of each cookie. Why not? Mo’ chocolate = mo’ bettah.
As a general rule, I make my cake mix cookies with cream cheese. It makes them extra moist and delicious and my Nana taught me right: add cream cheese to EVERYTHING for a happy life.
I broke my rule.
I substituted peanut butter for the cream cheese and I’m an extremely happy camper. Feel free to use cream cheese if your prefer!
- 8 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter (or 4 oz cream cheese, softened)
- 1 15.25 oz box of chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 36 Rolo candies
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Beat butter, egg, vanilla, and peanut butter together in a large bowl.
- Add cake mix, half of the box at a time, mixing until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Refrigerate the cookie dough for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Flatten the dough into a circle and place a Rolo in the center. Wrap the dough around the Rolo and roll into a ball again.
- Place cookies onto parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 9 minutes - you don't want the cookies to brown at all on the bottom.
- Let cookies cool on a baking sheet for several minutes before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Makes 3 dozen cookies.
Try these cookies from friends!
More cookies to add to your to-do list!
For all cookie recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.