This incredibly delicious and easy Lemon Bread is bursting with fresh, lemon flavor! Made with buttermilk and coconut oil for an extra moist with a tender crumb. One slice is never enough! Love lemons? Make sure to try these Lemon Drop Bars and Skinny Lemon Muffins!
Last week I shared my Microwave Lemon Bars. Mind-blowing, I know. Well those bars came and went and my lemon craving did not. So, I gave a healthy little makeover to my favorite lemon bread recipe and added a new favorite to my list – this incredible Glazed Light Lemon Bread!
Chocolate has a permanent place in my heart but there is just something about lemons that keeps me coming back again and again. There is nothing quite like lemon-flavored treats in the summer time. Or the winter for that matter! Lemon desserts are amongst my very favorite things in this world and this lemon bread ranks high up on that list.
This bread has a delicate lemon flavor that is just right – not too overpowering, not too subtle either. Just perfect.
I love making homemade bread for my family. There is just something inherently special in pulling a warm loaf of bread out of the oven. The aroma is DIVINE. This lemon bread is no exception. My family runs to the kitchen hoping for the first slice.
What Makes This Lemon Bread Light?
Keeping the sugar content low and subbing out butter or vegetable oil with the coconut oil keeps this bread lighter in calories but still bursting with flavor.
This light lemon bread is made with buttermilk and coconut oil – keeping the moistness level up as well as the health factor. A simple glaze on top adds the touch of sweetness your mouth craves as a counterbalance to the tart lemon flavor.
What’s In Lemon Bread?
There aren’t really any surprise ingredients in this list, unless you aren’t used to baking with coconut oil. Here’s what you’ll need:
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- coconut oil
- lemon juice
- lemon zest
Lemon zest is really the secret ingredient in any lemon recipe and that holds true for this one as well. The lemon zest packs such a flavor punch and really creates that lemony taste we all crave.
It also looks super pretty sprinkled on top 🙂
Such a beautiful bread! Perfect with a cup of coffee for breakfast or with your afternoon tea!
More Lemon Favorites
- No Bake Blueberry Lemon Cream Pie
- Lemon Blueberry Scones
- Lemon Zucchini Cake
- Easy Lemon Curd Recipe
- Easy Lemon Bundt Cake
How To Make Lemon Bread
Glazed Light Lemon Bread
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 to 3 tbsp lemon zest more zest = more lemon flavor
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest to sprinkle on top optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Beat together buttermilk, coconut oil, egg, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Stir in sugar.
- Stir in flour mixture until well combined.
- Grease an 8x4 bread pan.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 45-55 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice adding more powdered sugar if too thin or more lemon juice if too thick. Pour glaze over bread. Sprinkle additional zest on top if desired. Let set up before slicing.
Originally published July 13, 2014.
More lemony goodness:
For all lemon recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.