Like Mexican food? Then you’ve gotta try this Easy Mexican Chicken and Rice Casserole! Full of classic Mexican flavors in an easy weeknight package!
Living in California my whole life I’ve been exposed to some pretty awesome Mexican food. We eat Mexican at least one night a week at home and if you ask the boys where they want to go when we are eating out, 9 times out of ten, it’s one of their favorite Mexican restaurants.
If you think I’m complaining, I’m not 🙂 Mexican happens to be my favorite as well. One of the reasons I love it so much is that it’s easy to prepare at home, the ingredients are easily accessible, and quality brands such as Old El Paso consistently provide top-notch ingredients for our at-home Mexican creations.
The boys were having a hard time coming to an agreement as to what they wanted for dinner – all of it Mexican-centered – and I finally said, I’m just going to make something totally different with all of our favorite Mexican elements and you’re going to love it. They did.
I literally opened up my pantry and started pulling out cans from the Mexican side…we have a whole section devoted to Mexican ingredients 🙂 I stock up on all my Old El Paso favorites regularly at Safeway so I am prepared for nights like these. I settled on some refried beans, enchilada sauce, and green chiles. And then I got busy.
You guys. This Mexican Chicken and Rice Casserole instantly became a new family favorite. So cheesy and delicious, my enchilada-loving boys were totally digging the fact that this casserole had all of their favorite elements in an easy to eat package. I loved how quick it was to throw together with the help of Old El Paso and a rotisserie chicken. Couldn’t be more perfect for busy school nights.
So I know you are TOTALLY going to be making this for your family, this week I assume. Here’s one think I’m going to need you to do for me….DON’T forget to CLIP the BOX TOPS found on the Old El Paso packaging (and on other General Mills products). This is the EASIEST way to earn cash for your schools and trust me on this, they NEED IT.
Only Box Tops For Education registered schools can redeem Box Tops. Each Box Top is worth 10 cents to redeeming school. Limit $20,000 per school, per school year for Box Tops redeemed through the Clip Program. See boxtops4education.com for program details.
Honestly, it doesn’t get any easier than this. Make an awesome meal for your family that they will L-O-V-E AND give back to your school at the same time. Win-win you guys!
- 1½ cups rice, uncooked
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 16 oz can refried beans
- 3 cups cubed or shredded chicken (I used a Rotisserie chicken)
- 1 10 oz can enchilada sauce
- 1 10.75 oz cream of chicken soup
- 1 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained thoroughly
- 8 oz cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 12 oz shredded cheese, divided (I used a Mexican blend)
- Prepare rice according to package instructions, replacing the water with the chicken stock.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and spread the refried beans on the bottom of the dish.
- Combine rice, chicken, enchilada sauce, cream of chicken soup, green chiles, black beans, cream cheese, green onions and 8 oz of the shredded cheese in a large bowl. Spread on top of the refried beans.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and sprinkle on the remaining cheese. Return the casserole to the oven and continue baking until the cheese is completely melted, about another 7-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
If you like chicken recipes make sure to check out my new book 100 Creative Ways to Use Rotisserie Chicken in Everyday Meals. I love using rotisserie chicken to create meals that my family will love. You’ll find casseroles, bakes, comfort food, soups, sandwiches and more!
Casserole recipes the whole family will love!
For all chicken recipes, go HERE.
For all dinner recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.
Have a great day!
Old El Paso products, found at your local Albertsons Safeway store, are an easy weeknight meal solution.
Shoppers can clip the Box Tops found on the Old El Paso packaging, and on other General Mills products, to earn 10 cents each for their schools through the Box Tops for Education program.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons Safeway and Old El Paso . The opinions and text are all mine.