This Hawaiian Chicken and Rice Casserole is sure to be a new family favorite! An easy weeknight dinner that uses ingredients you probably already have in your pantry!
Please tell me I’m not the only one feeling the back-to-school dinner burnout already? We’re a little over one week in and I find myself struggling to get dinner on the table each night. Not good people, not good.
More and more I find myself in a pinch and I have to rely on my pantry to get my family fed. Good thing I am a firm believer in a fully stocked pantry 🙂 It makes dinner time much less stressful. I’ve mentioned once or twice how my family loves casseroles – it’s true!
This casserole recipe uses a lot of pantry staples and a few fresh ingredients. The flavor is off the charts and is definitely a meal the whole family will enjoy. I was inspired by the traditional Hawaiian Haystacks recipe for this casserole but definitely put my own spin on it. I used my Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole as a starting off point and took it in a whole new direction.
I love it when something good comes together so easy.
Pineapple, chicken, sliced almonds, water chestnuts, green onions, and rice are the core ingredients in the casserole. The rice is cooked in coconut milk making sure every spoonful is full of amazing flavor.
I used a number of canned ingredients in this recipe including pineapple chunks, coconut milk, water chestnuts, cream of chicken soup, and chow mein noodles. All ingredients that I regularly have in my pantry and for some reason, have never put together until now. Score!
More Must Make Casseroles
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- Cheesy Green Chile Rice Casserole
- Breakfast Casserole
- Tater Tot Casserole
How To Make Hawaiian Chicken and Rice Casserole
Hawaiian Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 1 ½ cups uncooked rice
- 13.5 ounces coconut milk 1 can
- 20 ounces pineapple chunks 1 can – drained, cut into smaller pieces
- 10.75 ounces cream of chicken soup 1 can
- 8 ounces water chestnuts 1 can – drained and diced
- 3 cup cooked chicken diced or shredded
- 6 green onions thinly sliced
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 2 cups chow mein noodles
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook rice according to package directions substituting one cup of coconut milk for one cup of water.
- Combine cooked rice and remaining ingredients (including the rest of the can of coconut milk) except for the chow mein noodles and half of the shredded cheese in the prepared dish.
- Bake the casserole for 30 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven and sprinkle with remaining cheese and chow mein noodles. Return the casserole to the oven and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes or until cheese if melted.
- Serve immediately.
Note: This recipe could totally be made using any cooked chicken, including rotisserie chicken, a personal favorite. If you like chicken, make sure to check out my new book 100 Creative Ways to Use Rotisserie Chicken in Everyday Meals. I love using rotisserie chicken to create meals that my family will love. You’ll find casseroles, bakes, comfort food, soups, sandwiches and more!