This easy Coleslaw recipe is perfect for backyard barbecues, potlucks, picnics and more. With just 7 ingredients, this easy coleslaw comes together so fast and will be enjoyed by all! The perfect side dish for any occasion!
Summertime is here, and that means it’s time to whip up some delicious homemade Coleslaw! After all, what backyard barbecue would be complete without this classic side dish?
What Is Coleslaw?
Too often, coleslaw is the forgotten about side dish that gets picked up last minute from the store. While you’re busy grilling the burgers and baking the beans, it can be easy to forget about the coleslaw! However, once you make this easy and delicious recipe, that forgetfulness will be a thing of the past.
This classic coleslaw recipe is creamy and equal parts sweet and tangy, while also being unforgettably good. You only need seven simple ingredients, most of which you likely already have on hand, and ten minutes of your time to make this coleslaw recipe!
You’re going to love how easily it comes together and how classically delicious it is… It’s even better than grandma’s. But don’t worry, we won’t tell her that!
What To Serve With This Coleslaw Recipe
I can’t imagine going through all of summer without at least one big backyard barbecue party! Whether you’re celebrating the 4th of July or a casual Saturday evening with friends and family, you’ll need everything from cocktails, desserts, entrees and side dishes to host an unforgettable backyard bash.
Here are some of our favorite recipes to serve with coleslaw:
- Chicken Marinade – for the juiciest most flavorful chicken EVER!
- Steak Marinade – turns any cut of steak into a work of art.
- Pineapple Punch – so delicious on a hot day!
- Steak Seasoning – for grilled steak perfection.
- Grilled Corn – if you’ve got the grill going, might as well make some corn!
- Chipotle Honey Barbecue Chicken
- Mini Strawberry Pies – the perfect dessert for a summer day.
- Pina Colada Fluff – part dessert, part salad, this easy recipe is always a hit!
With only seven inexpensive ingredients, side dish recipes don’t get much better than this! Truly, you’ll spend less money on these ingredients that serve 8 to 10 people than you would on a family sized portion of coleslaw from a restaurant. Not to mention, this homemade recipe is definitely better!
Let’s take a quick look at what you’ll need to make this coleslaw recipe:
- shredded cabbage – I like to use a mix of green and purple cabbage for coleslaw – mostly because it looks pretty! Shredding your own cabbage allows you to cut the cabbage just how you like, thin or thick strips.
- shredded carrots – We really love carrots so I’ll use up to 2 cups in our coleslaw, free free to use just 1 cup when you make it.
Looking for a shortcut? Buy pre-shredded cabbage and carrots!
Here’s what you’ll need to make homemade coleslaw dressing:
- mayonnaise – A regular or low fat mayonnaise will both work, just use whichever one you prefer.
- apple cider vinegar – The slight acidity and tartness that this vinegar provides is essential to a well rounded coleslaw. However, in a pinch, white wine vinegar will also get the job done.
- sugar – White granulated sugar is all you need to add the perfect amount of sweetness that balances with the acidic vinegar.
- salt – Use kosher or flaky sea salt for best results.
- pepper – Freshly ground black pepper always provides the most noticeable flavor.
- celery seeds – this is an optional ingredient but one that my mom always used so I do too. You don’t need a lot to add a nice pop of flavor.
How to Make this Easy Colelsaw Recipe
Do you have a large bowl, a small bowl, salad tossers, and ten minutes of your time? Perfect! Then you have everything you need to make this incredibly easy, yet simple coleslaw.
Consider using a mandoline. It saves a ton of time and can really thinly slice the cabbage.
- Shred the cabbage and carrots. You’ll need about 8 cups of shredded cabbage for this recipe, give or take a cup.
- In a large bowl, toss together the green cabbage mix and purple cabbage until combined. Set aside while you prepare the dressing.
How To Make Coleslaw Dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and celery seeds if using.
- Next, pour the coleslaw dressing over the cabbage and toss it until well combined.
- Refrigerate the coleslaw for a good 30 minutes before serving – if you have time. It’s delicious immediately but the flavors are best if it can chill for a bit. Enjoy!
In an airtight container in the refrigerator, coleslaw will stay fresh for about 2 days. Once it gets past 2 days, the cabbage loses its appetizing crunch and the consistency of the mayonnaise might become slimy. Avoid old coleslaw by enjoying it within the first 2 days.
Yes, you most certainly can! While classic coleslaw is my personal favorite, there are plenty of additions you can toss into the mix to shake things up and make it your own. Diced pieces of apple, dried cranberries, fresh lemon juice, and sunflower seeds are all tasty additions to an already perfect side dish.
This creamy coleslaw recipe can be doubled, tripled, whatever you need.
Trish’s Tips for the Best Homemade Coleslaw
- Taking the time to shred fresh cabbage will give you the best results. Use a mandoline to make quick work of this task. Don’t have the time? No worries, buying pre-shredded cabbage or even a coleslaw mix totally works too.
- Preparing the coleslaw in advance allows the flavors to develop and lets the cabbage and carrots soften just slightly. I like to chill for a good hour or up to 1 day in advance of serving.
More Side Dish Recipes
Do you love fresh, simple side dishes? Me too! Here are just a few of my other favorite side dishes.
- Easy Grape Salad
- Watermelon Pizza
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Pea Salad
- KFC Coleslaw
- Broccoli Salad
- Baked Beans
- Ambrosia Salad
How To Make Coleslaw
- 6 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots can use up to 2 cups if you really like carrots
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar white vinegar can be used in a pinch
- 1 to 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds optional
- Shred cabbage and carrots.
- Combine green cabbage, purple cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
Prepare Coleslaw Dressing
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, freshly ground black pepper and celery seeds (if using).
- Pour the coleslaw dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss until combined.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes to an hour before serving for best flavor. Keep chilled until ready to serve.