The BEST Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes you’ll ever try – promise! This easy to follow pancake recipe yields super delicious and totally amazing pancakes every time! So much better than a box mix! All you need is to top them with maple syrup and you’re good to go. Make sure you whip up a batch of baked bacon (check out my how to bake bacon guide here) to serve alongside these delicious buttermilk pancakes!
I take my breakfast seriously. Like, very seriously. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, with dessert, obvi, coming in a close second. If you asked my family what my “specialty” was in the kitchen, it would be breakfast, for sure.
I love it all: waffles, french toast, casseroles, sausage gravy, biscuits, eggs anyway I can get ’em, muffins, and pancakes, glorious pancakes. Man do I love pancakes. My Nana had the most amazing pancake recipe and then she’d make her own maple syrup and it was poured, piping hot, on top of a hunk of butter and the fluffiest buttermilk pancakes and my life was complete.
Pure bliss I tell you.
The Secret to the BEST Pancakes
The secret ingredient to pancakes is buttermilk. I’ve had millions of pancakes in my time and tried many pancake recipes. Thee very best of those were made with buttermilk. There is the trick of adding vinegar to milk to make your own buttermilk and while this is an adequate substitute, I think the real thing is better for sure. But honestly, use what you have on hand. I use buttermilk for a lot of recipes like Buttermilk Ranch Oven Fried Chicken and Chicken Fried Steak.
With Mother’s Day on the horizon, I wanted to make sure were equipped with the BEST fluffy buttermilk pancakes recipe out there…this one. I mean, just look at them!
Tips for Making the Best Pancakes
- I like to use a griddle when making pancakes. It’s much more efficient and an easier way to feed the masses, i.e, my growing boys.
- Don’t over mix the pancake batter. Small lumps are perfectly acceptable!
- Give your batter a little time to rest after mixing it together. I use this time to preheat the griddle, set out plates, get my syrup warming, etc.
- Serve your syrup warm, if not hot. It helps the butter melt and spreads all that awesomeness all over the place.
I don’t know about you, but I think breakfast for dinner should be a weekly occurrence with these pancakes as the star of the show.
More Breakfast Favorites to Try
- The BEST Homemade Biscuit Recipe
- Sausage and Egg Hash Brown Cups
- Lemon Blueberry Scones
- Triple Berry French Toast Casserole
- Baking Bacon: A How-To Guide to Making Perfect Bacon Every Time
How To Make Pancakes
The BEST Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract optional
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl or, as I frequently do, a large glass measuring cup.
- Whisk in the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract just until combined. Some small lumps are okay.
- Let pancake batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat.
- Spray with non-stick cooking spray OR brush with butter or oil.
- Ladle 1/3 - 1/2 cup batter onto the griddle for each pancake.
- Flip the pancakes over when small bubbles appear on the surface and continue cooking on the opposite side until golden brown.
- Serve with butter and syrup.
More breakfast recipes you simply must try!
Blueberry Lemon Cream Cheese Muffins
Baked Cherry Cheesecake French Toast
Slow Cooker Spiced White Hot Chocolate
For all breakfast recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.
I’ve considered myself the Queen of breakfast for a long time, But these pancakes are next level!! They are unbelievable, It’s really Bravo I will be bookmarking these pancakes!
Trish - Mom On Timeout says
What a compliment Erin! Thank you so much!
OMG these are absolutely delicious! So easy and fluffy. I barely mixed the batter leaving lumps (which drove me crazy) but the lack of mixing really made them perfectly fluffy and light!
Toni M. says
I used self-rising flour, so I didn’t need the baking powder and salt. OMG…these are the most fluffy, flavorful and easy pancake I’ve ever made. This will be my go-to recipe for pancakes and waffles!
Really good. Cooked on cast iron skillet as we like ours really browned.
Thèse are the perfect fluffy pancakes that my family loves
Janice P Robinson says
I am actually not a big pancake fan. Pancakes have always been something I could eat if put in front of me by someone else, but not something I’d ever order in a restaurant or make at home. But I had some buttermilk left from when I bought it for another recipe, and I had all of the other ingredients on hand, so I gave this recipe a whirl.
These are the most delicious pancakes, enough to make me go out of my way to make pancakes for the first time ever.
Ava Reid says
I made these pancakes one morning for breakfast as we had buttermilk left over, I’ve made pancakes many times before but when I say these were the best I’ve made ! They taste delicious with or without syrup and the texture is so fluffy! Never had pancakes like them would so recommend if u want to try make buttermilk pancakes this is the recipe to use !!!!! 10/10