Easy Christmas Peppermint Patties

You’re going to love this Easy Christmas Peppermint Patties recipe!  Super easy to make, fantastically festive, and always a hit with kids and adults alike.  These holiday treats are the perfect addition to cookie trays and make an excellent gift for teachers and friends!

You're going to love this Easy Christmas Peppermint Patties recipe!  Super easy to make, fantastically festive, and always a hit with kids and adults alike.  These holiday treats are the perfect addition to cookie trays and make an excellent gift for teachers and friends! | MomOnTimeout.com #Christmas #candy #recipe

Can you believe we are 17 DAYS from Christmas?  I know this for a fact because the boys like to ask me hourly….  I never forget what day it is during the month of December :)  The house is finally all decked out and I’m debating whether to put the boxes up in the garage OR just leave them on the floor in the garage since I’ll be putting everything back up in 18 days.

Yikes!  That was depressing :(  No, we’ll keep all the decorations up for at least week after Christmas :)

Well we are finally getting around to planning this year’s cookie trays and teacher’s gifts and I’m sure you are too.  I have the easiest, most delightful recipe to share with you today – Easy Christmas Peppermint Patties.

These patties take no time at all, don’t require any baking, use only a few ingredients and are guaranteed to put a smile on anyone’s face.  Yes, guaranteed.  Now for those of you who aren’t peppermint-crazy like I am, consider using a different flavored extract.  Cherry for the red is always delicious and I actually made the green ones with mint extract which I find to be perfect for Christmas time.

The dough is made up with just a few ingredients that you knead together with your hands.  This is where you add in the extract of your choice.  Start with just a couple drops to start and add more as necessary until you reach your desired intensity of flavor.  If you want to do three different colors like I did just separate the dough into three balls.. Or four.  Or two. Your choice :)  Add food coloring of your choice.  I find the gel and paste work best.  If you only have liquid food coloring you will have to add in more coloring and more powdered sugar so that the dough isn’t super sticky.

Roll into small balls and then roll in the sugar.  Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and press down with a fork.  It’s really that incredibly easy.  Keep going…

And going…

Until you are done!

Easy Christmas Peppermint Patties

5 dozen

Easy Christmas Peppermint Patties

You're going to love this Easy Christmas Peppermint Patties recipe! Super easy to make, fantastically festive, and always a hit with kids and adults alike. These holiday treats are the perfect addition to cookie trays and make an excellent gift for teachers and friends!

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup light corn syrup
  • 3 - 4 cups powdered sugar, divided
  • 1 - 2 tsp peppermint extract or mint extract OR any other extract you want
  • food coloring - preferably gel or paste
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar (to roll balls in)

Instructions

1. Combine butter and corn syrup together in a small bowl.
  2. Add 2 cups powdered sugar and your choice of extract and mix until well combined. Add extract 1/2 teaspoon at a time until the mixture reaches your desired flavor.
  3. Stir in an additional cup of powdered sugar.
  4. Turn bowl onto a cutting board sprinkled with another half a cup of powdered sugar.
  5. Knead the mixture until sugar is absorbed and is completely smooth, adding additional powdered sugar if needed.
  6. Divide dough into three portions.
  7. Tint one portion red with the red food color/gel and one green. Leave one portion white.
  8. Shape into 3/4 inch balls and roll in granulated sugar.
  9. Flatten gently with a fork.
  10. Let candies stand, uncovered, at room temperature for 1 day.
  11. Store in an airtight container.

These little candies will be the easiest treats you make all season and your kids will have fun helping AND eating them when they’re ready to go :)

More Christmas treats you’ll love:

Homemade-Gumdrops-Recipe

Homemade Gumdrops

peppermint-crunch-popcorn-recipe-sidebar

Peppermint Crunch Popcorn

60-fudge-recipes

60+ Fudge Recipes

white-chocolate-peppermint-sugar-cookie-bark-recipe

White Chocolate Peppermint Sugar Cookie Bark

Trish Signature Block

Connect with me!

Linking up at some of these parties.

Comments

1. Such a amazing idea! Not only do they look delicious but also easy to make, gotta make these!

2. How would you make these if u wanted each color a different flavor? It says add extract then divide. Def want to try. Thanks.

3. I want to eat them all!!! And that’s an Ikea fork, right? I miss those! :)
    Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..Butterscotch Squares copycat recipe {Amazon giveaway}

4. My aunt used to make these every Christmas and I totally forgot about them until I saw this post! I love this recipe – thanks for sharing!
    Kristen recently posted..The Happiness Report #25

5. Do you happen to know if this dough is a good consistency to use in a cookie press? :)

6. Can you freeze them? How long do they stay fresh for? I’d like to use these for a cookie exchange… Thanks – they look so yummy and festive!

7. Think you could dip these in chocolate? I love chocolate peppermint patties!

8. These sound amazing! Since it has butter, and it’s not cooked, how do they hold up? Do they have to be stored in the fridge, and also how long are they good for?

9. Those are some photogenic mints – gorgeous pics. They look and sound so tasty.

10. Hi! I have a question! It says I’m the ingredient list only regular sugar but in the directions it says to add more powdered sugar if you have liquid food color. Could you please elaborate on this for me, I’m not very practiced in baking so please help a sister out! Thank you!
    Merry Christmas!
    Jennifer

• 3rd item on ingredients list – 4 cups powdered sugar, divided. I make these myself at Easter in pastel colors. Love the idea of dipping in chocolate!!

11. These are so cute and colorful! They look really fun to make and they sound delicious :D
    Allie | Baking a Moment recently posted..Chocolate Peppermint Meringue Christmas Trees

12. These were an instant favorite! We did a triple batch and ended up with approx 285 mints. They will add a great pop of color to my trays this year. The flavor is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.

13. These are too cute for words…and sound so delightful and yummy!!

14. I’m in the UK and we don’t have ‘corn syrup’ what’s a good substitute?? Many thanks!!

15. Have you tried using almond or vanilla extract in place of the peppermint?

16. These definitely look like a winner! I can’t wait to try these fun little guys out!
    Shawn @ I Wash You Dry recently posted..Eggnog Cheesecakes with Gingerbread Cookie Crust

17. WOW! I can see why everyone is flipping out about these! I could devour the entire batch I’m pretty sure :)
    Julie @ Julie’s Eats & Treats recently posted..Chocolate Almond Cheesecake Dip

18. Sheryl Aman says:

I don’t understand the Christmas Peppermint Patties…….. Do you use flour, do you use a cookie recipe. I follow the recipe showing —- 1/4 cup butter, softened, 1/3 cup light corn syrup, 4 cups powdered sugar, divided
    1 – 2 tsp peppermint, food coloring and 1/2 cup granulated sugar —- and it don’t make anythiing like your picture. ————– I’m usually pretty good with recipes but this one I can’t get……….. I don’t understand…..

19. Just a question, I want to try these but I’m from aus and we don’t have corn syrup? Is there an alternative?

20. Allison Daniels says:

Just made them, they are delicious! Would I be able to freeze them? If so, how long do you think they’ll stay fresh? Thank you!

• Awesome Allison! Definitely freezable. Just layer the mints in single layers in a dish, with waxed paper or parchment paper in between. They are good for at least a couple of weeks not frozen so I’m guessing at least 2-3 months frozen Allison. I’ve never done it before but I think you’ll be fine. Enjoy!

21. These look delicious! Definitely trying these this weekend. Hopped over from Melt in Your Mouth Monday. Will be your newest follower as soon as I get to my home computer. :-)

Julia @ Mom on the Run x2
    Julia recently posted..Christmas Memories

22. Ok I followed the directions exactly and I do not come out w/ a dough type mixture at all. It just keeps falling apart into powdered sugar clumps (if I’m lucky) or just powdered sugar all over my counter. I’ve kneaded like crazy but no luck. Hoped it would stay and tried to add food coloring. Now I just have clumps of red and white powdered sugar all over my counter. what went wrong?? Thanks!

• Hi again Connie :) It sounds like you didn’t have enough wet ingredients. Before you added the last cup of powdered sugar, what was the consistency of your dough? It should have still been a bit sticky. The last cup of powdered sugar makes it more manageable for rolling into balls.

• Yeah it was not sticky at all before the last cup – it was clumpy even then and I thought to myself “another cup of powdered sugar??” :)

I used 1/4 cup butter and 1/3 cup corn syrup. There weren’t any other wet ingredients were there? Guess I’ll try it again tomorrow and hope for better results – thanks!

• How did it go Connie? Make sure you’re really working that powdered sugar in before going to the next step. Good luck!

• I got the same results. Wasted time & money trying to make these mints.

• catherine says:

I made these last night! I used the same exact recipe and they were a sticky mess. I ended up having to add about 2 cups more powered sugar while kneeding and they ended up great! I just used a lot more sugar. I made 2 batches and they look great. I hope this helps anyone.

• Glad you worked it out Catherine! Humidity and variations in ingredients can alter the recipe slightly, as well as how you measure the powdered sugar. The trick is just to keep adding until you get the right consistency. Thanks for your feedback!

• I’m not really sure where you encountered issues Linda but I’d be more than happy to help with more information. If your dough was still sticky you can just keep adding powdered sugar until it’s not. Hope that helps!

• First batch I mixed the corn syrup & butter w/hand mixer. Then powdered sugar by hand, it was dry after adding first 2 cups of powdered sugar, not even grainy after the 4th one. I did work in extra corn syrup to save the batch. Tried a 2nd batch all by hand & it was still a dry mess & added quite a bit more syrup while trying to work I the last 2 cups of powdered sugar. I’ll try again using my stand mixer but I doubt it will be any better w/ the measurements listed.

• I am at a loss Linda. I’ve made this recipe dozens if not hundreds of times and literally have NEVER had a problem :) I do not use a mixer, ever. And really, just add enough powdered sugar to have your mixture smooth and manageable.

• LOVE how easy these were! I made a batch on my own and they turned out exactly like the picture! That DEFINITELY doesn’t happen often! I did add a little more corn syrup after mixing cause the mix was a little dry. It worked perfectly. I used a hand mixer to combine everything. It was crumbly, but as you start to work with the mixture the heat from your hands helps it to come together. I will be doing a triple batch this weekend with the kids. Thanks so much for this fun recipe!

• Excellent Michele! Glad you had so much fun!!

• i made them in tonight. I mixed by hand and the consistency was perfect. I actually kneaded inside a plastic bag (my 3 year old helped). We tried to add gel food coloring and it got really sticky but adding more sugar fixed it. I didn’t want them too get too powder-sugar-tasting, so we skipped coloring the red ones and instead rolled them in colored sugar. I wonder if people had trouble with the consistency due to the temperature of the ingredients?

23. Hi. I came across your blog on Pinterest and was intrigued. I have 4 boys and a girl and I wanted to try these fr Christmas. When you say powdered sugar – do you mean icing sugar or normal sugar that has been powdered.

Thanks

24. I made the mints. I want to try a butter mint, with butter flavor. Do you think this will work? Maybe even a little bit of yellow food color?

Can you use the baking flavors or oil?

25. These look adorable and the colors are great. I really need to invest in some higher quality food coloring so I can get more vibrant colors.
    Cookaholic Wife recently posted..Cinnamon Crunch Braided Brioche Bread

26. I just made a batch of these using brown rice syrup rather than corn syrup (forgot to get some at he store and was NOT going out again lol) and they re brilliant!!!

27. These are so bright and cheerful! Perfect for a holiday treat :)
    Nicole recently posted..Simple Chocolate Fudge Recipe

28. i’ve always wanted to make these. so festive!
    Dina recently posted..Strufoli, Italian Honey Balls

29. Ashley Amo says:

Overall I liked the recipe. I think people may be having an issue with the consistency of the “dough” if they are using a hand mixer. I think a free standing mixer probably would mix it together much better. For myself, while I did use a hand mixer and found that I didn’t get the “doughy” consistency I was looking for, I just added a touch more of corn syrup to help mix the powdered sugar in a little better and more powdered sugar when I kneaded. They came out perfect! =)

30. These are fantastic! Super easy and so yummy! They remind me of the inside of a peppermint patty. I used honey instead of corn syrup and the candies turned out perfectly. I also dipped half of the batch in dark chocolate. Thanks for an excellent recipe! I will definatle make these again!

31. Hi, these are super easy and quick. I’m from South Africa so I substituted confectionery sugar with icing sugar and the syrup with golden syrup and it was fine. The only boo-boo I struck is that the icing sugar packet comes in 500 grams, so I decided that was 2 cups. Of course 250 grams is not the same as 250 milliliters of icing sugar so the first lot was a little crumbly. (on my side of the world 250ml = 1 cup)

32. Just wondering if you use real butter or “Blue Bonnet” type butter?

33. christy yates says:

Made these tonight (triple batch). LOVE them. This will be a regular Christmas treat. My 11 year old son said they look exactly like your picture and they taste awesome! My 2 year old daughter ate too many. :) Merry Christmas!

34. I have a green, runny mess!!!! What am I doing wrong???

• Yikes Melanie! There’s really one one liquid component besides the extract so my guess is that the corn syrup might have been measured incorrectly. Have you tried adding more powdered sugar? It shouldn’t be runny at all :(

35. These tasted like stale taffy. Or like peppermint fondant. If you like the consistency of cookies I would not recommend these.

36. Super fun and easy to make, but didn’t taste good. It was like eating peppermint-flavoured icing sugar, and after one bite, it was too much.

37. I never thought of making peppermint patties but these sound yummy!
    Kristen Duke recently posted..2014 Goals

38. Hello! I have a question…: if I let them dry at room temperature, are they going to get hard like candy or less, or not at all?
    I’m looking for a recipe where they get hard almoust as candies (but not so hard to break a tooth…).
    Thank you very much for your answer!!!!!!!

39. I have been looking for some ideas of what I could make my family for Christmas and post back to them as I live in a different country. These look a really cute idea, and nice and light for posting. Only question is if you know how long they stay nice for? Was thinking to make at the start of December, pack them into airtight containers and ship for opening on Christmas day.

40. My family has been making these since I was a little girl. We use cream cheese and powdered sugar only. Mom always flattened them with a fancy bottomed glass dipped in sugar. I roll them into ball. freeze and dip in chocolate. They freeze just fine. I’ve made many different flavors besides mint. Orange is a favorite in our family. You can also press them into small candy molds.

41. These sound delicious, but I don’t eat dairy. Do you think it would work to sub coconut oil for the butter?

42. Maria- Delicious Designs says:

I made my first batch last night and they look adorable and taste great. But after sitting at room temp overnight I put some into a ziploc to bring to my moms and when I got there a half hour later they were all super soft and sticking to one another. They lost that stiffness. What should I do? Constantly keep them in the open air? Otherwise ill have to always coat them in chocolate. Help!

43. Any suggestions for how to package these to look pretty? None of the pictures on the post show closed packages! They’re perfect to give to my daughter’s teachers, but they need to “travel” to school… Thanks!

44. I just made a batch and my kids don’t want to wait until tomorrow to eat them can I put them in the fridge or anything so they don’t have to wait a whole day before they are done?

45. So bright and festive. They look delicious!

46. I don’t usually post but I also had some trouble with this recipe. I love peppermint and wanted to live this a try. Mine was very dry, so I added so extra corn syrup, stil too dry, finally I added 2 tablespoons of soft butter. It worked the dough was more like “play dough” and was great to work with. How can you go wrong with butter, and three types of sugar!

47. These look so festive and delicious! I’d love to have you add them to this week’s Party Time Link Party: http://tikkido.com/blog/link-party-23
    Nikki @ Tikkido recently posted..Chestnut Roasting Tutorial, A Traditional Christmas Treat

48. Got this recipe from my husband’s grandmother 50 years ago. It’s been a Christmas tradition here for that long. I use cinnamon oil for red, peppermint for green, and clove oil for white. It’s exciting to see it being circulated anew.

49. These were delicious and so easy to make! Although my almost 3 year old made quite the mess with the confectioner’s sugar, haha. Even the dog was covered (he didn’t mind though, and now he smells delicious!:)

50. Are you using real butter or can I use stick margarine????

51. This recipe looks amazing!! Was thinking about trying lemon extract for the white ones, do you think that would turn out ok? Thanks, in advance!

52. Love these little guys! Made them last year and came back for the recipe to make again this year!! They really are fantastic! And a nice addition to put on a dessert tray, to break up all the fudge and chocolate treats.
    Ashley A recently posted..15 weeks, mostly ramblings about nothing.

53. I just made these today. They are so good. Thanks for the recipe!!! And you are right you will want to make more than one batch!!!

54. Those candies are definitely a feast to the eyes. Love the colors and they definitely look delicious! Will try making a batch and see how it goes. :)
    Jenetta Penner recently posted..Earn Target and Walmart Giftcards with Tellwut

55. What are your favorite extracts to use? I was thinking cherry for the red, almond for the white, and peppermint for the green??

56. These are so cute! I would love to just have them sitting out in a bowl for a decoration just because they are so cute!! :)
    Marti @ SewliciousHomeDecor recently posted..DIY Smores Christmas Tree Ornament

57. Hi! I love the treats you have here! Do you mind if I post your pictures on my blog? Of course, I will give a link redirecting my readers here, with your permission. If you could let me know, I would be delighted! Thank you and Merry Christmas :)

58. I tried to make these tonight and it was a fail :( I used a stand mixer mix the corn syrup and butter and first 2 cups of powdered sugar. By the 3rd cup of powdered sugar it was already seeming a little dry. By the 4th it was just crumbles that barely stuck together. Trying to knead in coloring was a joke and my hands just ached from kneading and kneading. I kept thinking it would get soft but it never did. :( I’m sad because they taste and smell so wonderful.

• I made these last night and they came out terrific. Was the butter totally softened? Was it real butter? If you try again, I hope you have better luck!

59. THANK YOU for this awesome recipe! I made these last night and they haven’t had the full day to set up, so I may be speaking prematurely but I’d call these mints, not cookies, but if YOU hadn’t called them cookies I probably never would have some across them on Pinterest so THANK YOU!!! They are a perfect accent to a cookie tray because they are colorful and different and so easy to make, and I will even let my 4 year old and 6 year old help with the next batch. I only used a drop of regular red food coloring and they are perfect pink. I also used a crystal wine glass with a starburst pattern on the foot to press them instead of a fork so they have a beautiful star design.