You’re going to love this Easy Christmas Peppermint Patties recipe! Super easy to make, fantastically festive, and always a hit with kids and adults alike. These holiday treats are the perfect addition to cookie trays and make an excellent gift for teachers and friends!
Can you believe we are 17 DAYS from Christmas? I know this for a fact because the boys like to ask me hourly…. I never forget what day it is during the month of December :) The house is finally all decked out and I’m debating whether to put the boxes up in the garage OR just leave them on the floor in the garage since I’ll be putting everything back up in 18 days.
Yikes! That was depressing :( No, we’ll keep all the decorations up for at least week after Christmas :)
Well we are finally getting around to planning this year’s cookie trays and teacher’s gifts and I’m sure you are too. I have the easiest, most delightful recipe to share with you today – Easy Christmas Peppermint Patties.
These patties take no time at all, don’t require any baking, use only a few ingredients and are guaranteed to put a smile on anyone’s face. Yes, guaranteed. Now for those of you who aren’t peppermint-crazy like I am, consider using a different flavored extract. Cherry for the red is always delicious and I actually made the green ones with mint extract which I find to be perfect for Christmas time.
The dough is made up with just a few ingredients that you knead together with your hands. This is where you add in the extract of your choice. Start with just a couple drops to start and add more as necessary until you reach your desired intensity of flavor. If you want to do three different colors like I did just separate the dough into three balls.. Or four. Or two. Your choice :) Add food coloring of your choice. I find the gel and paste work best. If you only have liquid food coloring you will have to add in more coloring and more powdered sugar so that the dough isn’t super sticky.
Roll into small balls and then roll in the sugar. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and press down with a fork. It’s really that incredibly easy. Keep going…
Until you are done!
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup
- 3 - 4 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 1 - 2 tsp peppermint extract or mint extract OR any other extract you want
- food coloring - preferably gel or paste
- ½ cup granulated sugar (to roll balls in)
- Combine butter and corn syrup together in a small bowl.
- Add 2 cups powdered sugar and your choice of extract and mix until well combined. Add extract ½ teaspoon at a time until the mixture reaches your desired flavor.
- Stir in an additional cup of powdered sugar.
- Turn bowl onto a cutting board sprinkled with another half a cup of powdered sugar.
- Knead the mixture until sugar is absorbed and is completely smooth, adding additional powdered sugar if needed.
- Divide dough into three portions.
- Tint one portion red with the red food color/gel and one green. Leave one portion white.
- Shape into ¾ inch balls and roll in granulated sugar.
- Flatten gently with a fork.
- Let candies stand, uncovered, at room temperature for 1 day.
- Store in an airtight container.
These little candies will be the easiest treats you make all season and your kids will have fun helping AND eating them when they’re ready to go :)
More Christmas treats you’ll love:
Connect with me!
Linking up at some of these parties.