This Crockpot Zuppa Toscana Soup is the best way to enjoy our favorite soup during the busy week. Amazing Zuppa Toscana flavor made right in the slow cooker and ready for you to enjoy after a long day. Warm, comforting and flavorful!
Crockpot Zuppa Toscana Recipe
This post has been a long LONG time coming. Back in November 2011, just a couple months after I started Mom On Timeout, I shared a recipe for our very favorite soup: Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana Soup and it instantly became a fan favorite.
Not surprising at all because that soup is just so darn good!
My husband has been asking me to make this into a slow cooker recipe for YEARS. Slow cooker meals were definitely on the menu and everybody was craving Zuppa Toscana.
While it’s definitely a fall and winter favorite, we enjoy this soup year round. It’s so flavorful and filling and is the best kind of comfort food.
Preparing the Ingredients
I made a couple adjustments to my original recipe including increasing the amount of both the sausage and bacon. Kind of a meat lover’s version if you will. My husband said it was just the right amount. Everything but the cream and the kale goes in the slow cooker right at the start.
You can cook your sausage and bacon the night before so the prep is quick in the morning. I put the soup together right after dropping the kids off at school and it took me just about the same amount of time to dice the onions, slice the potatoes, and mince the garlic as it did for the sausage and bacon to cook. I baked both in the oven.
About 20-30 minutes before you’re ready to dig in, throw in the chopped kale. A few minutes before you’re ready to eat, the heavy cream goes in making your heart go pitter patter and your tummy start to rumble.
More Soup Recipes
- Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Sausage Kale Soup Recipe
- Crockpot Ham and Bean Soup
How To Make Crockpot Zuppa Toscana
Crockpot Zuppa Toscana
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken stock or broth
- 3 cups water
- 24 ounces spicy Italian sausage cooked and crumbled
- 8 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled (I bake my bacon)
- 5 medium russet potatoes 1/8-1/4 inch slices
- ½ large onion diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Place all ingredients except for kale and heavy cream into a large slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in kale and let cook for another 30 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream, let heat through (five minutes) and serve.
- We like to serve this soup with some grated Parmesan cheese on top. Delicious!