Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup is packed with all your favorite flavors but made in a fraction of the time! This hearty soup is perfect for the chillier months ahead with fresh ingredients like chicken, diced carrots, chopped celery, garlic and thyme, and flavorful chicken broth. A dish that’s comforting, satisfying, and oh so easy!
Chicken Noodle Soup is a family standard. Recipes have been passed down for generations. It’s the cure for when the weather gets nasty and you just need something warm and comforting. Plus, with the cold and flu season upon us, nothing fights off the sniffles like a heaping bowl of piping hot chicken soup.
Now with this twist on the classic chicken noodle soup recipe, gone are the days where you have to toil over a giant pot on the stove. With Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup, you just toss all the ingredients into the pot, set it, and let it do the work for you! Ready in mere minutes instead of hours, now you can have your soup and relax a bit too.
Instant Pot Recipes
There is something extra satisfying about having a meal on the table in half the time. We’ve been using our Instant Pot more and more and this soup was an instant favorite. If you’re looking for more pressure cooker recipe, check out Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats and this Ham and Cabbage Soup – both are delicious!
More Chicken Recipe Favorites
Chicken recipes are a staple in our kitchen. Here are a few of our favorite year-round recipes that make it onto the menu at least once a month. Check them out:
- Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- Homemade Chicken Nuggets
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Chicken Piccata
- The BEST Chicken Salad
All the classic ingredients for your favorite comfort food! As always, you can find the full printable recipe with complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post. Let’s take a look at what you’ll need:
- chicken breast – About 2 pounds. You can also use frozen chicken!
- low sodium chicken broth – You can also substitute chicken stock or vegetable stock.
- onion – A white or yellow onion works best in this recipe.
- carrots – Sliced or chopped, it’s up to you.
- chopped celery – You can’t have chicken noodle soup without the celery!
- garlic – If using fresh, you’ll want at least 2 cloves minced. Or feel free to use ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder.
- bay leaf – The bay leaf will actually help keep your soup from feeling so heavy.
- parsley – Freshly chopped is the best but you can substitute for 2 tablespoons of dried parsley.
- butter – You’ll want salted butter over unsalted, to add a little flavor without too much sodium content.
- chicken bouillon powder – A delicious and easy way to enhance your flavor.
- thyme – That herb flavor will really make this soup a classic comfort dish.
- salt and pepper – To taste.
- egg noodles – You’ll want about 2 cups.
Using frozen chicken? Increase your cooking time by 15 minutes. Check to make sure it’s reached 165°F before shredding.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
All the greatness of a rich and hearty soup, none of the hard work required! The Instant Pot really is a game changer.
- Add ingredients. Simply place the chicken, chicken broth, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaf, fresh parsley, butter, chicken bouillon powder, thyme, salt, and pepper into the Instant Pot. Stir together to combine.
- Set timer. Set your Instant Pot to pressure cook for about 12 minutes (don’t forget to adjust that time if using frozen chicken). When the cooking time is over you can use either the quick or natural release function.
- Remove chicken. Remove the chicken from the pot and place it on a plate to rest while you finish up the noodles.
- Add egg noodles. Add in the egg noodles to the Instant Pot and hit the sauté function. Boil until the noodles are tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Shred or cut chicken. While the noodles are boiling, you can shred the chicken or cut it into small pieces, whichever you prefer.
- Stir in chicken. Add the shredded chicken back into the pot and stir to incorporate. Remove the bay leaf, serve, and enjoy!
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup FAQs
How long will this Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup stay fresh? This hearty soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days for maximum flavor and freshness. However, the great thing about this recipe (and soups in general) is that it freezes really well! Make ahead and store in the freezer for up to 6 months! Thaw before reheating and you’re good to go!
If I don’t have broth, can I use water instead? A water substitution isn’t ideal as the broth (or stock) provides a lot of the flavor for the base of the soup. If you’re short on broth or don’t have any at all you can actually make your own using water and chicken bouillon granules or cubes. Use 1 teaspoon of chicken bouillon granules or one cube per cup of water and voila! Homemade chicken broth at your fingertips.
Tips and Variations
- If using frozen chicken you’ll just need to up your cook time by 15 minutes. Check that it’s done by making sure it’s reached 165°F.
- You can also cook up a whole chicken for this soup. Remember to cook the chicken 6 minutes per pound.
- Adding in some spinach or kale is a great way to get some extra greens in your soup.
- To avoid mushy noodles, don’t use the soup setting and cook everything all at once. It’s important to cook the chicken portion first and then the egg noodles to avoid them falling apart.
More Soup Favorites
- One Pot Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Beer Cheese Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Sausage Kale Soup
- Ham and Cabbage Soup
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 pounds chicken breast
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 cup carrots sliced or chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces egg noodles about 2 cups
- Place the chicken, chicken broth, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaf, fresh parsley, butter, chicken bouillon powder, thyme, salt, and pepper into the Instant Pot. Stir to combine.2 pounds chicken breast, 8 cups low sodium chicken broth, 1 large onion, 1 cup carrots, 1 cup chopped celery, 2 cloves garlic, 1 bay leaf, ½ cup fresh parsley, 1 tablespoon salted butter, 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper
- Set the instant pot to pressure cook for 12 minutes. When cooking time is over you may use the quick release or natural release.
- Remove the chicken from the pot using tongs and place on a plate to rest.
- Add the egg noodles to the instant pot and hit the saute function.6 ounces egg noodles
- While the noodles are boiling, shred the chicken with two forks or cut into small pieces.
- Boil until the noodles are tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken back into the pot and stir to combine. Remove the bay leaf and serve immediately.