With plenty of spice and warmth, these Perfect Soft Ginger Cookies are just what your holiday season has been waiting for! Delightfully soft and chewy with a crisp sugar coated exterior, these molasses cookies are impossible to resist!
Ginger cookies. The quintessential Christmas cookie that needs to happen in your house sometime this season.
I have a number of ginger cookie recipes that I adore. I’m spoiled year-round by my sister who makes ginger cookies all the time for the boys. It’s their favorite. I have three favorite recipes and this is one of them. It yields the lightest, prettiest ginger cookies you’ve ever seen.
There is a ton of spices in these cookies – ginger, cinnamon, and cloves for that extra depth of flavor. I’m a total sucker for molasses and I think that is the ingredient that makes ginger cookies shine. Such a deep, bold flavor that screams, “Eat me! It’s Christmas time!”
These cookies are made with all butter – no shortening – so you get that awesome buttery flavor in every bite. I use Challenge butter. The quality is exceptional and I am able to see and taste the difference. It’s flat-out delicious 🙂
Please note that when you roll the cookie dough balls in sugar, you want to make sure you completely coat the ball. Be generous with that sugar! I think it adds a delightful crunchy sweetness to these cookies AND it’s super sparkly and pretty.
How do you know your cookies are done? Just look for the cracking on the top of the cookie. As soon as you spot that, pull them out because you do not want to overbake these cookies. Let them cool for awhile on the cookie sheet before moving to a cooling rack. Side note: my cooling racks seem to have found a permanent home on my counter these past few weeks. That may be a sign of too much cookie making, but I choose to ignore that.
These really are the perfect soft ginger cookies!
- 2¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp corn starch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- ¾ cup Challenge butter, softened
- ½ brown sugar, dark or light
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup molasses
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Combine flour, baking soda, corn starch, salt, and spices in a large bowl. Whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugars.
- Beat in egg until thoroughly combined.
- Mix in vanilla and molasses.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. I like to leave it in there for a solid 24 hours if I have the time.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use cookie scoop to scoop out dough, form into a ball, and roll in sugar. Place on cookies sheet.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes being careful not to over bake.
- Let cool for several minutes on the cookie sheet before moving to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week or freeze for up to 3 months.
More cookies perfect for the holidays!
For all fudge recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.
Have a great day!
Disclaimer: As an Ambassador for Challenge, I was provided product and compensation for this post by Challenge Butter, but all opinions are, as always 100% my own. I LOVE Challenge Butter!