These festive Peppermint Shortbread Cookies are the perfect addition to your holiday cookie trays this year!
With only five ingredients, they are quick and easy to make and look so gosh darn pretty!
There is something about the holidays that brings out the best in people. We’re happier, friendlier, and full of joy. That’s why it’s the best time of the year. The true spirit of the holiday season is all about giving though. I used to stress about the gifts I gave at Christmas. I mean, talk about pressure. It’s the one time of year when many are expecting gifts and the thought of disappointing someone just doesn’t sit well with me.
As I grow older, and wiser, I’ve learned that giving to others is the best gift I can give myself. Truly. There is nothing that fills with me with thankfulness and joy more than the act of giving selflessly to another. And the holidays are certainly the perfect time to do it.
The boys have been busy working on their Christmas Wish Lists and as much fun as it is to surprise them each year, our focus has always been on the act of giving. Teaching our boys to want to give to others is a top priority in our family. We participate in Operation Bear Hug, Operation Christmas Child, and various other charities to show them how good it feels to give. And it does. There’s no denying the thrill in giving to someone you love or someone in need.
The great thing is that giving doesn’t need to be complicated OR expensive. Anyone can give. It only matters that it comes from your heart. Take these Peppermint Shortbread Cookies. Easy. Easy Easy. Yet totally festive and delicious. And boy oh boy do they look pretty on a platter! Tie it up with a ribbon and you have the perfect holiday gift.
Many people may be like, oh, shortbread, but it’s so dry. No sir. Not if you do it right! These shortbread cookies are delightful and pack a peppermint punch that’s sure to please.
There’s a whopping 5 ingredients in this shortbread. I roll mine in sugar before baking for an extra special sparkle. Come on now! It’s Christmas! We have to have sparkle 🙂
How To Make Peppermint Shortbread Cookies
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, cubed (and cold)
- 1¼ cups Andes peppermint crunch chips (found in baking aisle or here)
- 1 tsp extract (vanilla, almond, or peppermint)
- red food coloring (optional)
- more sugar to coat cookies before baking if desired
- Combine flour and sugar in a large bowl.
- Use a pastry blender to cut in butter. You want very fine crumbs.
- Stir in extract, food coloring, and Andes peppermint crunch chips.
- Use your hands to knead the dough until it comes together and forms a ball.
- Shape dough into a log about two inches in a diameter and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for two hours.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut slices of cookie dough about ¼ inch thick and place on baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or just until cookies are set. Do not over bake.
- Let cool for several minutes on baking sheet before removing to cooling rack. Let cool completely.
- Store in airtight container for 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
More cookies your friends and family will love!
For all cookie recipes, go HERE.
For all dessert recipes, go HERE.
Sign up to get emails when I post new recipes!
For even more great ideas follow me on Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter – Bloglovin’.
Have a great day!