These easy Homemade Chicken Nuggets are crispy, tender and totally delicious! Made with a mouthwatering spice blend that will delight kids and adults alike! They’re high in protein, easy to make, and your new favorite weeknight dinner option! Serve with my sweet and tangy Honey Mustard!
Easy Chicken Nuggets Recipe
Chicken nuggets are a dinner staple for most families, and my busy family is no exception. We eat them multiple times each month because they’re so easy to scarf down in between activities.
That means I’m always looking for new ways to change our nuggets up so that my kids aren’t bored with them by the 4th time we have them in the same month!
I’m so happy to say that these baked chicken nuggets nailed it! I love that they’re baked and gluten-free but still have the perfect crispy coating that you look for on tender, juicy chicken nuggets.
Chicken Nuggets Recipe Ingredients
This recipe uses common ingredients. Let’s take a look at what you’ll need:
- Chicken breasts – go for boneless, skinless and cut into 1 inch cubes
- Eggs – helps the breading to adhere to the chicken
- Breadcrumbs – I used plain breadcrumbs but seasoned breadcrumbs are fine and fun to try in this recipe
- Corn starch – this makes the nuggets crispier with a lighter coating
- Spices (garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika, salt, pepper) – all enhance flavor and give these nuggets their amazing flavor
How to Make Chicken Nuggets
Have you ever purchased bags of nuggets from the store without even thinking about making them yourself? Believe it or not, making your own chicken nuggets is almost as easy as going to the store and picking up a bag of pre-made nuggets! And you guys, the flavor and texture are so much better!
- Preheat oven. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or foil and top with a wire rack.
- Whisk eggs and water together and add chicken, toss to coat.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs, corn starch, garlic powder, salt, pepper, onion powder, oregano, and smoked paprika. Place in a large resealable plastic bag.
- Transfer chicken pieces to bag and shake to coat.
- Place nuggets on wire racks making sure they aren’t touching.
- Lightly coat the chicken nuggets with cooking spray and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cooked through and beginning to turn golden brown.
Delicious Side Dishes to Try
I love serving these homemade chicken nuggets warm with homemade Honey Mustard, ranch, BBQ sauce, or your favorite dipping sauce. These recipes are delicious with any of these side dishes to round out your meal.
Homemade Chicken Nuggets FAQs
Here are some frequently asked questions and their answers.
Store any leftover chicken nuggets in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Yes! These nuggets freeze really well, so you can make a batch and freeze them until you’re ready to use them.
To freeze, allow the nuggets to cool completely after you bake them. Lay them on a baking sheet and flash-freeze them for 1 hour then transfer them to a freezer-safe bag or container. They can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat, bake at 400° F for 10-15 minutes, or until heated through.
For a bit of a crunchier baked chicken nugget, you can substitute the breadcrumbs with panko breadcrumbs (toast on a baking sheet for 5 minutes at 350F before using), crushed cracker crumbs, or even crushed potato chips.
Keep in mind that if you use seasoned crackers or potato chips, you may need to adjust the seasonings in the recipe.
You don’t need a wire rack to make these nuggets! The rack lets the heat from the oven evenly cook all sides of the nuggets so they cook evenly and the coating doesn’t stick to the baking sheet.
However, if you don’t have a wire rack, the workaround is to place the nuggets on your parchment-lined baking sheet and bake them. About halfway through the bake time, flip them over so both sides can cook evenly.
Yes! These nuggets reheat really well. You can microwave them until they’re heated through. However, when you use the microwave, they tend to be soft and not have that great crispy coating that good homemade chicken nuggets have.
For best results when reheating: I recommend baking them at 400° F for 10 minutes or until heated through to get the best results.
A Family Favorite
The whole family will enjoy this delicious twist on a classic family favorite dish! I think the best thing about this chicken nuggets recipe is how EASY they are to make.
Serve them for a filling lunch, weeknight dinner, party finger food, or game day appetizer.
More Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
How To Make Chicken Nuggets
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cut into roughly 1-inch pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons finely ground salt I use pink Himalayan-any kind is fine
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or foil and top with a wire rack. Spray wire racks with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Whisk eggs and water together in a medium bowl. Add the chicken pieces and toss to coat. Set aside. (Optional: Toss chicken in flour before adding to the egg mixture for an extra thick breading.)
- In a small bowl mix together the breadcrumbs, corn starch, garlic powder, salt, pepper, onion powder, oregano, and smoked paprika. Transfer to a large resealable plastic bag.
- Remove the chicken nuggets from the bowl using tongs or a fork, allowing any excess egg mixture to drip off. Place in bag with breadcrumb mixture. (Do this in batches.) Shake to coat well.
- Place the chicken nuggets on the wire racks making sure they aren’t touching.
- Lightly coat the chicken nuggets with cooking spray and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cooked through and beginning to turn golden brown. Flip nuggets halfway through if desired.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce. We love this Honey Mustard recipe!